Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1)I am getting ready to purchase a 3550 and need an sfi bellhousing. which kind is the best for being trouble free installation? Also, what all is needed for installing the bellhousing correctly for alignment?
2) Any 94-95 guys have teh 3550, if so what did you have to do to you crossmember when using the driveshaft extension
thanks

Dan
95 rio red cobra #2021

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
McLeod and Lakewood make SFI approved bell housings. D&D told me the McLeod fits better. I will be using a McLeod with my T56...when they release the bell housing for production.

Troy

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have the Mcleod in my car,i like it mostly because it fits both stock and tremec transmissions.It has two slide bolts in it for different mounting positions.It fits pretty well also.Im not a big fan of the zink plate color,but i can live with it;)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Redsnk95 said:
McLeod and Lakewood make SFI approved bell housings. D&D told me the McLeod fits better. I will be using a McLeod with my T56...when they release the bell housing for production.

Troy
troy,
just heard back from D+D, they said for around 490-500rwhp, and about 450ft/lbs of torque that the TKO would be a better choice tranny. But i guess thats a given.
Im just hoping the 3550 will be a good choice. I saw a guy w/ 465rwhp running 11.2'[email protected] w/ a 3550 and he was fine..
hope i am
Dan

·
Registered
313 Posts
hey 1quick95 what kind of headers do you have?i got LT's and d&d told me i might have to do some grinding,how was the install i thought i read on the instructions a shim for the starter?i got the mcleod and tko thanx http://hapygas.stangnet.com

·
Registered
624 Posts
I dont have long tubes,but i have done a couple of cars with lakewoods.Each side needs about 1/4-1/2 inch taken off around the edge for clearance,its not that bad.However the ones ive done were on engine stands,in the car could be a bit more difficult for sure.I think you would need to loosen the headers and put the bellhousing up to the block,mark the spot take it back out and start trimming.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I just bought a Lakewood and had to have it installed in mine. You have to put it on with a dial indicator and if you don't know what your doing and don't have a lift it can take hours. I was told after I purchased the Lakewood that the McLeod is a bolt on piece. Had I known this I would have done the whole thing myself and bought the McLeod but I had just finished with my motor swap and was not in the mood to lay under my car for another 3 hours of aggravation.

Since I didn't do it I don't know exactly what they did to the crossmember. I do know that they said I didn't need the driveshaft extender so they never put one in.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,
Ive decides w/ the TKO trans and a Mcleod aluminum bellhousing. Ive been told this setup will be good enough for what I want from the car, Ie, not revving past 5900-6000rpms, and running drag radials, not slicks.
I guess if I decide I want slicks, then I'll go for the SFI approved scattershield.
any thoughts?

Dan

·
Registered
304 Posts
Doesn't McLeod make an SFI approved Bellhousing? I'm pretty sure they do. My buddy is running one with a 3550 on his coupe that has 590 rwhp and both are holding up fine.

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
Dan,
I would spend the extra $100 or so for the SFI approved McLeod bell housing. Just my thoughts.

Troy

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
You don't have to be on slicks to grenade a clutch. I'd do the steel bell housing for sure at your level. One of the guys who built my roll bar had a clutch/flywheel blow apart in his 460 powered 64 Galaxie. A chunk of flywheel actually stuck into the frame rail. It went on a 3-4 shift on the street!

Get the steel can...just in case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts