Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long saga with a moron who kept screwing up my T45 and not fixing it, I've decided to just buy a new tranny. The only thing is, I don't know if a really want to put another T45 in there, especially after talking to a bunch of guys about theirs breaking. D & D has new T45's for $999, but I called him today and got some numbers on the 3550. My questions is, is the 3550 much "rougher" for daily driving, or is there much of a difference. Also, I asked the guy at D&D about what all was involved, and he said the tranny + bellhousing + new yoke on driveshaft (or new driveshaft). He also said that it would bolt right in to a 96. From you guy's experience, is this true, does it bolt it without crossmember issues? Basically, what do you guys suggest I should do?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Crossmembers and clutch is different, I think. You may have driveshaft issues, since the 3550 is longer. 3550 is notchier, but more durable than the T45.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I just installed a TKO in my bud's 96 GT and you can use the stock drive shaft and yoke, ( the Tremec supplied yoke is too short) also you dont have to do anything to the cross-member, as a matter of fact the 96 Stang is the only one of the mod era you dont have to re-locate the tranny crossmember. If you go with the standard 3550 you can use the stock style splined clutch disk, if you opt for the TKO you will have to go with a different clutch disk (more splines). My suggestion is go with the Lakewood bell housing and the Mcleod Clutch set-up if you are going to do this yourself send me a PM and we can talk over the phone and I can talk you through it...DA snake Boy!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.