Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
351w timing pointer fluidampr

OK i put my 5.0 timing cover, pointer on my new 351w with a fluidampr the problem is I can't seem to get timing right, i read a thread that said the timing is 26 degrees off and others say its 35 degrees off , i have the timing set at like 2 degrees after the 10 ATDC mark on the balancer and i seems to run ok. it seems like i have to set the timing to AHHHHH THIS SUCKS!!!
HELP

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Did you pull the spout connector out? Next you should be setting the timing BTDC, I set my total advance to 36 and forget about the initial. Of course 36* probably wont be optimal for all but it works good for my combo in the climate I live in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a carb'd motor, with a 28oz fluidampr, the damper and timing pointer don't line up correctly, its reads either 26 or 35 degrees retarded form what ive read in other posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
If you can find top dead center accurately you can lay on some timing tape or fab up a different pointer to accurately mark "0". I'm not sure the best way to do this on an assembled engine, mine was done with the heads off to find true TDC. Luckily my stock pointer and Romac balancer were dead on.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've never heard of that before. Wouldn't the manufacturer put the correct timing marks on each application? Thats absurd!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know about total and base timing, we fired the engine up on staurday nite and could not get it timed at all. if i tried to get the 5.0 pointer at 14 degrees base timing it would kill the engine because it was so retarded that it couldn't run. I did the same thing once i got it running again, and bumped the idle up along with trying to get the timing to line up. Ive been around motors for a while, and know something is really weird here. I think I have got to find TDC and put timing tape on the balancer. Or I've heared there are different pointers for 351w and 302.Damn this is really throwing me a curve. why the hell couldn't fluidampr have staying in business a little longer to provide tech info, no info on the net for my problem, HELP GUYS

·
Registered
996 Posts
I used the stock pointer off my old 302/306/308 ( through the yrs) to put on my stroked windsor. I'm not aware of any difference in the timing pointers and I used a Romac balancer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well it seems like fluidmapr had their head up thier a$$ when they designed this thing or something, why the hell would they put the keyway or timing marks in different position other than stock. damn all I want to do is drive this thing

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK new idea, I still have my 50 oz 5.0 balancer, could I take the fluidampr off, compare to stock and postion timing tape accordingly, I dont really want to find tdc the cowboy way with a screwdriver, but by god if I have to I will !!
damn, stupid %#$^ fluidampr, F%%K

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok big brainstorm going on here, What if....I use the cam card spec and my dial indicator on the companion cylinder to #1 to find TDC, and apply timing tape, that idea seems preety good to me.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Timing tape if you can find TDC sounds to be your best bet. Is the balancer a Fluidamper or a knock off, I have seen the cheaper balancers be off a little.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nope it is genuine fluidampr, i am going got timing tape it today

·
Registered
140 Posts
timing

I had the same problem. Pull out number 1 plug and turn the motor to TDC of compression stroke. The timing pointer lined up with the "30" mark on the damper.

I'm using a timing cover and pointer from 91 Tbird 5.0L.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I just put together my 351 stroker using my 302 timing cover and pointer. I verified TDC with a dial indicator as to them both being the same. TDC on the 351/302 were both excactly the same. I'm using a Romac balancer FWIW.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts