Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning a project which will involve putting a built 408 into a 85 LTD Wagon. It's a fox body car, so I'm pretty sure this is doable, but I don't know how much fabrication it's gonna take.

The car currently has a v6 in it, so I'm assuming pretty much everything will need to be replaced. The plan is to run a carb, just to keep it simple.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of swap?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Actually,the 351W based 408 should drop right in with just Mustang engine mounts,Fox body 351W oil pan and 351W Fox headers.The V6 K-member will accept the V8 mounts.

You will need a double hump cross member for the trans,it will bolt in,to run dual exhaust.I would use an MSD 6AL and either a recurved stock DuraSpark dist or an MSD dist.

I would say it would take a good weekend to yank the V6 and drop in the 408,upgrade the rear axle to an 8.8.This is basically a "bolt in" swap and minimal fabrication will be needed.

The big difference is the wheelbase is 5 inches longer than a Mustang,Mustang exhaust will work if you splice in some pipe.Also the FMS aluminum driveshaft will not work.To short!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts