Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will this bolt directly up to motor mounts?
bolt to manual tranny? has anyone done this b4? what steps do i need to take? is it very hard?

·
Registered
788 Posts
351 based swap...

I've done this swap, and it was one of the most rewarding and eastiest things to do to my car!!!
And as long as you had a 302 to start with, yes, the manual tranny will bolt right up to the 351! And the motor mounts will bolt right up, but i swapped mine for poly's....much better!!!
Aside from all the swap parts you'll need, you may have to relocate or modify the battery tray....the 351 is wider and requires more room in that area (A/C stuff). My stock radiator is still doing fine, but I will be swapping that in the spring!

I'll start the list and everyone else can add their .02....and remember, I've done this, so this is my list.....others may have more or less..............:

Must have:
-taller hood
-351 oil pan, headers, dizzy, balancer and flywheel, and fuel rails
-351 based lower intake

Other:
-Fuel rails can be modified to fit the 351
-bigger mass air/TB
-upgrade clutch
-longer vacuum lines
-EGR????? are you keeping it? longer bung from the header
-Emissions? modify/new thermactor tube
-bigger fuel pump
-maybe upgrade the injectors

Also, do a search on this.....lots of info out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
good luck!.........i may be forgetting some things.............

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
myfirstgt, what did you do to modify the fuel rails? I'm still gathering the parts for my 393 buildup. I read on the corral that sn-95s could use the Lightning dizzy. Anyway I went to the parts store and they told me the lightning and regular f-150 have the same part # for the dizzy. Are they the same? Any help with this would be appriciated.

·
Registered
788 Posts
fuel rails and dizzy...

a fellow corraler in florida hooked me up with some high pressure fuel hose....forget what size....but i just took a razor blade and cut the stock hose off......then took the other hose and measured the crossover difference and slid it on the fuel rails and secured it with high pressure hose clamps.
I also used the lightning dizzy. hooks right up to our cars!

I'm on a public computer....but if you just go to my site, you can see some pics of it all coming together:

www.smittyzstang.com

hope this helps!

·
Registered
158 Posts
myfirstgt- are the Mac headers you used origionally intended for the fox body 351w swap? If so, how did they fit? God I cant wait to do the swap!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so, if i was going to eventually put a turbo on it, should i build a 393 or will a 408 hold up? meaning the thickness of the cylinder walls. i wanna put down some crazy boost. and what year block is the best. i heard it was the 1979s.

·
Registered
309 Posts
SLO95GT said:
so, if i was going to eventually put a turbo on it, should i build a 393 or will a 408 hold up? meaning the thickness of the cylinder walls. i wanna put down some crazy boost. and what year block is the best. i heard it was the 1979s.
A 393 is a 351 bored .030 with a "3.85" inch stroke crank, a 408 is a 351 bored .030 with a "4" inch stroke crank. The only thing that will affect wall thickness is how far the block needs boring... if any at all.

Also, the best/strongest year blocks are 69 and some early 70's.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
788 Posts
mac headers

Yes, the MAC headers were for the Fox 351 swap, but they fit just fine on my 94GT! It was my BBK h-pipe that needed some tweaking.....man i wanted to friekin throw those things in an inferno..........but oh well....nothing a welder couldn't fix...lol.

The only thing i didn't do was weigh the blocks/engine.....cause i don't think the weight difference is enough to fuss over.....when i dropped the 351 in, I thought my front end was gonna be lower, but it's not.....oh well..................

Good luck...........the swap is sooooooo easy, fellas!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what do i do with the computer? and also the wiring to everything???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts