Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't know yet. I was driving home from work yesterday...and I gave it a little stick...

And all of the sudden the engine started vibrating strangely...

I know it's not the bottom-end because... the oil pressure didn't change, the A/F gauge started giving me a strange reading like one of the cylinders is not firing... and after about 3 minutes i started hearind knocking noise from the valve train... what could it be????

I'm gonna tear into it after work today to see what happened.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sounds like bent valves. Been there. Better check Piston to valve clearances.

·
Registered
432 Posts
93-ex-chp said:
mis adjusted rockers, maybe a bent pushrod (or three).

been there, got the T-shirt.
Joe, just how many T-shirts have you gotten over the years???:eek:

I agree with the others, pushrods or a rocker came off

Good Luck

Brian

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
TheBrain said:
Joe, just how many T-shirts have you gotten over the years???:eek:

I dunno man. Got a few that's for sure.

Hey how many times have you been towed home by the way? :lol:

:evil:

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Class85GT said:
Sounds like bent valves. Been there. Better check Piston to valve clearances.
GOD PLEASE NO!!!:eek:

·
Registered
432 Posts
93-ex-chp said:

Hey how many times have you been towed home by the way? :lol:

:evil:
OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your not willing to break it, you shouldn't race it :evil:

Adam699,

Before you get yourself all worked up, pull the valve covers and take a look. May not be as bad as you think (although it may be :( )

Brian

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE!

Well I took the valvecovers off today to find out that one of the rocker arm studs broke:( on the intake valve.

I unscrewed it from the head...and tried to see if it's an ARP stud but I cannot find ARP on it anywhere... ANY ideas??? I though that all AFRs come with ARPs.

Any ideas what might've caused this? I used the recomended pushrods. The car drove fine for 300 miles:) (besides little idle problems from time to time).

It kindoff sux because since my winter car got totalled this is my only car for now.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You are not the first to have AFR studs to break. I have read numerous reports of breakage, and heard that AFR had quality problems with their current supplier of the studs. No, they are not ARP brand studs. From my understanding, AFR is replacing studs on a case-by-case basis. To be safe, I would just spend the extra change and buy some ARP's, to put your mind at ease. I ran the AFR165's on my last combo with the stock AFR studs with no problems. Maybe I was lucky to receive a good batch of studs........don't know for sure. I know broken studs suck though!!

One last thing to mention..........did you torque the studs prior to installing the heads?? AFR states in their assembly instructions, that they do not torque the studs.........and it must be done prior to installation. Just another tidbit to think about. Hopefully nothing was damaged, and a new set of studs will get you on your way.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sealed them and torqued them down per instructions,when putting the motor together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts