Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the 351 Windsor conversion. I hope this question isn't getting too repetitive, but I've already searched, and I still have a few unanswered questions.

Right now I am interested in the 1994 Lightning short block. Is this a strong enough block that would be able to handle a lot of boosted power?

Would it be a good idea to buy a complete shortblock from a junkyard (with stock internals)? Are the pistons forged? I am not planning on adding boost just yet, but for now while I am NA will they be OK?

How much can I expect to pay just for a '94 Lightning shortblock from a JY?

Thanks, Brad.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Basically any 351W is stronger then your 302. The lightning block has the benefit of being roller ready, and if you go to a parts yard to find a pre-94 block, you will need to convert. The 351W will handle the boosted power, so long as you have good internals. I reccomend forged. From the JY, Im assuming (not sure) you will pay around 400 for the block... The older 351W blocks you can pick up for about 100...

·
Registered
182 Posts
The 351 block itself can handle a lot more power. They came with cast pistons, eventually hyperuetectic pistons. A lot of the 351 stores say 500 hp is no problem reliabilty wise. Alternative auto has good info on the conversion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts