Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to do a search for a 351 swap into my 94, but brought up the dreaded Proxy error instead. Anything in the archives or a dated magazine article out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Its pretty easy on sn95 body.Front accessories bracket bolts right up,just need a longer belt.Need lower intake,351 headers hooker part number HOK-6133, oil pan FMS-M6675A58,351 distributor with steel gear part number for gear FMS-M12390F,28oz flywheel,28 oz harmonic balancer.If using the FMS oil pan listed above you must use a stock oil pump not high volume,you cannot use a girdle with this pan,if you want to use these then you will need a different oil pan.I recommend going with a larger radiator like the fluidyne,the single core that comes stock isn't quite enough for a 351.These are the must items.You will probably need a taller hood unless you use drop down motor mounts,351 is 1 1/2 taller.I had a 4 inch cowl on mine so it wasn't a problem for me.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
It looks like it will be a pretty straight forward swap. Good info here.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I used my Energy Suspension motor mounts and I lucked out. I'm running the Cobra Intake. Got me. I'm giong with Cevini's 3 in cowl.

·
Registered
158 Posts
chuck943 said:
If using the FMS oil pan listed above you must use a stock oil pump not high volume,you cannot use a girdle with this pan,if you want to use these then you will need a different oil pan.
Good to know. What pan would you reccomend I use with a girdle and high volume oil pump?

·
Registered
389 Posts
On mine the girdle was hitting the dip stick tube bracket in the oil pan,I don't know maybe a certain brand will work,do you remember what brand you used Animal?The oil pan I have heard of guys doing some clearancing on them but if you beat it up good and it starts leaking then you just wasted $130.Most of the pans that will clear are pretty expensive but they also include a windage tray,so if you take that into consideration then the price isn't that bad.The sump will most likely be below the sub frame though,might want to take that into consideration if you do alot of street driving.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input, I do have one more question: Are any of the 351's roller motors? Conversion available? What camshafts are you using and effect on our 94-95 ECM's?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
94 and newer are roller motors. And you can use a stock radiator with the 351...my car never sees over 205 degrees with the A/C on and in traffic.....The 94-95 computer will work, I would get a chip burned for it to adjust the timing, fan, idle, etc....
http://home.earthlink.net/~januszewski/mustang.html

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
can the stock 94/95 EEC control the 351 just fine? any wiring that would have to change or is it just the few parts described above?

parts listed so far for swap:

-351 headers hooker part number HOK-6133
-oil pan FMS-M6675A58
-351 distributor with steel gear part number for gear FMS-M12390F
-28oz flywheel
-28 oz harmonic balancer

anything else?

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you want to use an older stonger block and want to run a roller camshaft,crane makes a lifter that will work with the standard roller camshafts(not the small base ones).Here is a link to their website on the lifters.I used a 72 model block which had the larger and stronger webbing at the cranshaft journels and these lifters worked fine.They will also work on a 302 you just have to install them before putting the heads on.
http://www.cranecams.com/master/lifthrol.htm

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I am wondering how much all these parts cost you guys, I am looking to do this kind of swap but I am not sure if it is more dollar per hp for me to build a 306 or 331. what kind of numbers are you guys seeing out of these set ups, and did you guys get custom tunes?

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
spydermandb said:
can the stock 94/95 EEC control the 351 just fine? any wiring that would have to change or is it just the few parts described above?

parts listed so far for swap:

-351 headers hooker part number HOK-6133
-oil pan FMS-M6675A58
-351 distributor with steel gear part number for gear FMS-M12390F
-28oz flywheel
-28 oz harmonic balancer

anything else?
You need a new intake manifold (well, at least the lower).

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
351 will cost more

yellow&blcak95gt said:
I am wondering how much all these parts cost you guys, I am looking to do this kind of swap but I am not sure if it is more dollar per hp for me to build a 306 or 331. what kind of numbers are you guys seeing out of these set ups, and did you guys get custom tunes?
I had all the parts in hand from the 351w swap on my '92 and when I put it all on paper it was still cheaper to build a 302 based motor.

The 351w torque is totally worth it though. I sold all my 'stuff' to a friend who is planning a 351w swap on his '90 since it was pretty much everything he'd need in a box (ok, a bunch of boxes and a hood!)

If any car needs the 351w torque its the SN95 cars but I think I'm going to do a 331 if anything for a car I drive every day. Here's what mine looked like going together:

That TFS 351w intake is 'hella' tall!

Oh yeah - my favorite pic:

Cobra intake vs. the TFS. Advantage - TFS :evil:

Shawn

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have a new FRPP oil pan swap kit for sale in the classifieds for $110 shipped.

FRPP also makes the retro roller lifters for about $50 less that the Crane ones. $375 for the FRPP lifters. I'm using a '74 block with the FRPP lifters and '95 Lightning distributor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts