Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My dad just bought a 67' Coupe with a 289 c.i. engine, its a fixer upper and he's ready to get started. For his first mod he wants to go big....he wants to swap over to a 351. His main concern being that since the engine is bigger will the headers fit correctly and most importantly will the engine fit in the engine bay?

Any info is helpful,
Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
690 Posts
That's one of the easiest swaps you can do. The '69 Mustang has the same engine compartment as the '67. The '69 came available stock with a 351. Your 289 engine mounts should work. You'll need 351 accessory brackets.Also, you'll need 351 exhaust manifolds or headers (because they have to hug the block a little). You might find more info on this at www.vintage-mustang.com. That site has been around longer than the classic section here and has more history to search through.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My dad put a 351 into his '68, it fits, but its a hell of a tight fit, with the 351s stock manifolds theres only about two inches of room.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It'll fit fine I am building a 408 stroker for my 65 Mustang and it fits the 67's engine compartment is a little bigger I have heard the Headman Headers are the best fit engine mounts are the same just you need to get 351 brackets. It is and easy swap if you need any advice on how to do this or need some good used parts go here www.mustangsteve.com good luck with the 67

danny

·
Registered
76 Posts
The headers you need are Hooker Super Comp part # 6208. I had a set on my 69. They fit perfectly. No jacking the engine, no skinned knuckles, no cussing.

They are made to fit a 351W in a 65-70 Mustang. Before I bought them I called Hooker. They said for a prototype they used a 65 Mustang with a 351W AND a C-6. That would be the tightest possible fit. Anything else would fit easily, compared to that combo. Not cheap @ $360, but worth it. These things fit. They will clear any trans and you can also get to the plugs and no burned plug wrres.

Before the Hooker's I had bought a set of the Hedman 351W headers from a friend of a friend. Bought them sight unseen, new in the box. Big mistake. I refused to install them the quality was so poor. Looked like the welding had been done by a monkey on crack. Sold them at a loss and bought the Hookers.

A pic of them on a 408 in a 65:
http://www.badasscars.com/gallery/missy_engine.jpg
A pic of one side before install:
http://home.earthlink.net/~racrcole/_uimages/engine4.JPG

Later,
David Cole

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fits Fine

Here is my 351W/408 in my 67 coupe, it fits perfectly
The super comp headers as described above by DAVE C are the perfect fit also like he said. Mine went right in and i have a Tremec 5 speed

Ok why cant i post a pic?

·
Registered
5 Posts
A 351W will fit with plenty of room. A 351C is a tight fit, but still doable. Ford dropped 390s in 67s from the factory - just something to think about. 69-70 is a bigger engine bay than 67-68. I saw some misinformation in the thread. That's why I mentioned it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts