Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the cam in there thats not to wild, actually its extremely mild, a little to mild, you cant even hear it. its kind of a mystery cam, all i know is its the conversion cam. how much would a really mild cam kill a car with a 357 and 2.02 intake/1.60 exhaust heads with an edelbrock performer rpm air gap and holley 750?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
It all depends on how small the cam is related to all the other parts.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Well, if you have a heads that flow really well, especially at lower rpms, you don't necessarily need a large cam to get the air and fuel in and out. One of those things I learned with my 306. Too big of cam may actually hurt you all around depending on compression and induction. It all depends on the heads, compression, intake, and exhaust.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heads...

heads should flow pretty well, never had the flowed though. the compression of the engine is 9.0 to 1.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
What kind of heads are they?

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
their iron heads...

from a 69 351 i believe, but they are all cleaned up and everything with the 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust, and harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers. dont remember what else off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You might do well with something similar or a bit bigger than the Edelbrock RPM cam (.496/.520 lift) probably bigger. But if its a roller cam conversion, you need to find out some more info, like HOW it was converted to hydro roller.

Either it has retrofit lifters and a regular 5.0L roller cam, or it has stock 5.0 roller lifters and spider, which would run a reduced base circle camshaft.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh yea...

sorry, it was the retrofit....

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Did you buy the engine assembled from someone? Surely there's some way to find out what ballpark the cam is in?

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, i just couldnt find the specs last night...

ok, all i could find on the stupid cam was the lift, which was 512/520

1 - 11 of 11 Posts