Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting with a 98 short block. Its also going to have a carb. I've got the victor intake.It's going in a 78 fairmont with a c4. How would you get to 350hp. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
85 Posts
Trick Flow heads and Cams, so basically a Trick Flow top end kit. Depending on what camshafts you choose you'll make more than 350 horsepower at the flywheel. That is your easiest and best option if it's a SOHC 4.6.

·
Registered
701 Posts
High compression, don’t be scared of 13:1, it will run just fine on 93 octane. Tight squish distance, either get taller pistons to bring them up to level with the deck or have the block decked down. Then get trick flow heads and trick flow specific cams. You’ll make 350 rwhp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To be honest, it would be cheaper to use a different engine, especially if you are going carbed. 4.6L's are notoriously expensive to make power. There are just not a lot of parts out there and the ones that are available are expensive. You would be better off with an old school 302 or a new Coyote 5.0.

If you already have the engine and intake, then as sn95gts331 stated, Trick Flow is the only solution available. Iwarrior1016 is also correct, up the compression is a good option, but stock heads are limited. There are really no other practical options unless you are going forced induction.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Trick Flow heads and Cams, so basically a Trick Flow top end kit. Depending on what camshafts you choose you'll make more than 350 horsepower at the flywheel. That is your easiest and best option if it's a SOHC 4.6.

This ^^^^

Trickflow heads/cam is the hot ticket to make serious power .
I went from a pathetic 260 hp 350 lbtq on a 5.4 2V to 450/442 .

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
350 can be done on a stovck 4.6 with a simple tfs head swap.

Ive tuned several of them and every single one has made over 350rwhp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to run mid 12's. I figured 350 crank horsepower would do it. Maybe 250/260 to the wheels. Maybe I'm wrong. The car is so light. Probably 2750 with me in it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I went 12.7’s @ 107 on a stock engine with all bolt ons, good suspension and 3.73 gears, it doesn’t take a ton of power for 12’s. My car the last time was a big bore setup, 12:1 compression, ported factory heads, VT stage 2 cams, P51, headers and full exhaust, it made 373rwhp and ran 118mph in the 1/4 which should be in the 11’s, but only having 3.73 gears and a 2.66 first gear T56 killed the 60’ and best it ran was a 12.31.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to run mid 12's. I figured 350 crank horsepower would do it. Maybe 250/260 to the wheels. Maybe I'm wrong. The car is so light. Probably 2750 with me in it.
If I ran a flat 13 with 390 at the wheel with 4 doo two ton barge , I am sure you can do it easily in the mid 12,s

·
Registered
85 Posts
350 can be done on a stovck 4.6 with a simple tfs head swap.

Ive tuned several of them and every single one has made over 350rwhp.
The 1996-04 mustangs weigh around 3200 to 3400 depending on the options. 350rwhp will beat or match a stock coyote S197 or S550. Honestly makes more sense to do a Trick Flow top end kit, and not worry about the hassle of finding all new accessories and A/C configuration for a Coyote.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Man, your car is badass. If my Grand Marquis wasn't my daily driver I'd do the same thing.
Thanks :) my car was a daily driver once lmao that is why I got myself another daily that I started to mod too....it never ends

·
Registered
438 Posts
The 1996-04 mustangs weigh around 3200 to 3400 depending on the options. 350rwhp will beat or match a stock coyote S197 or S550. Honestly makes more sense to do a Trick Flow top end kit, and not worry about the hassle of finding all new accessories and A/C configuration for a Coyote.
this ^^^^^x100

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've been going round and round about heads for mine, ported stage 2 heads vs TFS. Just looks like the TFS heads are so good its hard to not just got that way.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've been going round and round about heads for mine, ported stage 2 heads vs TFS. Just looks like the TFS heads are so good its hard to not just got that way.
I picked up 90rwhp going from fully ported stage 3 stock heads to fully ported TFS heads. Both port jobs were performed by TEA.

Editing to add: Granted there was a lot of boost involved, but the same pulley was used with both sets of heads.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts