Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use this stuff? Any good?

http://www.enginekits.com/

The ad can aslo be seen on page 213 of the Sept 2003 5.0 Must mag.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I'm pretty sure this kit is just pistons, rods and crank not like the other kits that include rings and bearings so it might not be that great of a deal.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It includes all that. Check it out:

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
well, it needs to be balanced, but if you're getting your block bored out then im sure it isn't that much more to get it balanced. The reason I think it's so cheap is the hyper parts. Yeah the rods are forged but I think I'd rather have forged pistons myself. I'd pass this up and save my money on a fully forged kit with a dart block.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SilverSmith82 said:
I'd pass this up and save my money on a fully forged kit with a dart block.
That's wayyyyy out of my league right now. Plus, my Wife would beat me.:lol:

I have $2000 to spend........tops.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
2 words.
Buyer Beware!

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just sent them a e-mail. I asked them what brand names the parts were. I post it up when they respond.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
thats beyond cheap...but i bet its all no name stuff....the rings are prolly cast iron too...so if you want plasma moly rings youre looking at another hundred....plus theyll probably want 50 for shipping....that brings your total to 749 roughly....now for 900-1000 you can find a good kit with name brand parts forged pistons and good rings and bearings....

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^

·
Old timer
5,708 Posts
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten!"

Ed

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warning guys. I wasn't dead set on buying this stuff anyways. I just wanted some thoughts.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yep I got suckered by Indy Mustang with the same dumbass belief of buying on price when I first started with my 95 several years ago.

If a price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I also inquired about the $699 408 kit and here is their response...
yes we sell the 408 stroker for $699 and we believe this is the
best price in the country. comes with k.b. pistons,rings,bearings,new 5140
forged rods/arp bolts,new stroker 408 crank.

on the ford strokers we only balance the customers balancer and
flexplate/flywheel. the average price is $175. the cranks scat and eagle
use are the same as ours.
Use that info for what it's worth.........I would bet their Quality control isn't that of Eagle's or Scats. I have read that SCAT actually has tight QC guidelines than Eagle, and that is why you hear more about Eagle sending out egg-shaped journal cranks and cranks with whips in them......

·
Registered
115 Posts
So I guess the question that needs to be asked is, who sells a SCAT crank with forged rods/pistons that is of acceptable quality and for how much?

I've been looking at the 347 DSS kit and shortblock as well as what CHP offers. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
phordguy said:
So I guess the question that needs to be asked is, who sells a SCAT crank with forged rods/pistons that is of acceptable quality and for how much?
www.adperformance.com

Brian's a good guy and hasn't steered me wrong. Even went out of his way to help me with a small problem I had a couple of months ago.

Greg

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
That's funny...

Scat and Eagle use different cranks but they use the same as both of them?

You get what you pay for when you go cheap with internals.

Brian

saleen_n_around said:
I also inquired about the $699 408 kit and here is their response...

Use that info for what it's worth.........I would bet their Quality control isn't that of Eagle's or Scats. I have read that SCAT actually has tight QC guidelines than Eagle, and that is why you hear more about Eagle sending out egg-shaped journal cranks and cranks with whips in them......

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
i have the 599 kit mentioned above. comes with everything. pistons are speedpro .030 over skirt coated. and everything looks good, but i haven't made it to the shop yet. the total was 679 shipped.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
94redcobra said:
i have the 599 kit mentioned above. comes with everything. pistons are speedpro .030 over skirt coated. and everything looks good, but i haven't made it to the shop yet. the total was 679 shipped.
ttt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts