Ford Mustang Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yeah I know about the 332FE engine also. I simply don't like inaccuracies, especially for political reasons. Nobody would ever confuse the 332 stroked 302 with a 332FE engine, except possibly idiots, and I don't make decisions to attempt to satisfy idiots.
Are you one of those insufferable people who refuses to call a 302 a 5.0 because pushes up nerd glasses technically it's only 4942cc?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Norm...you don't have much of an idea what you're doing, try not to speak for me.

Your choices are just fine, it's your "facts" that are in error.
I'd edit my post except I can't edit your copy of it.

But by all means, feel free to bring technical explanations to where you think I might be flat-out wrong. I don't particularly worry about where I get a little new learning from . . .

Norm

·
Registered
528 Posts
Meant to edit, not quote. XenForo gets at least partial blame.

Norm

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Are you one of those insufferable people who refuses to call a 302 a 5.0 because pushes up nerd glasses technically it's only 4942cc?
I'm not terribly insufferable, but I can say I've met people who have argued that a 4.9 Ford is different from a 5.0. Those are crazy people, a book conflicts with reality and they still side with the books. I'm into what is reasonable, fair, and makes the most sense, not the details of technical superfluous crap.

Someone at Ford spent a lot of time stressing over people in the future confusing a 351 with a 352, and thus the same now the 331 versus the 332. Who cares if they made a big block in the same displacement 60 years ago, which virtually nobody now has heard of?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well where this all started the guy who told me go 331 over a 347 with ring seal isues. Said his builder who I guess builds top fuel dragster motors told him and has still been doing this method and still believes in over 20 plus years.
Way I see it mine is a street car I blow it up or need a rebuild I will punch it out 2 a 363 at that point.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Just build a 7.0L 428W (see what I did there?) motor and be done with it. Taller deck, larger bore and aftermarket block will be fast & reliable for decades.

Reactions: Carey M. Bojanowski

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
the piston debate...

you ever seen a modern 250cc or 450cc (especially the 250) motorcross bike piston?

It is a ring holder with a pin through it, and nothing more. It is TINY (and cheesy), and on some of them the oil ring has a rail, similar to some of the 347 stuff.

They last forever as long as the filter isn't run filthy and it has oil in it (clean oil). They do not burn much oil either, if any at all.

the skirts are maybe 3/4" in length (side to side) and maybe 3/4" from the crown to the bottom of the skirt. 95mm bore (what is that, 3.74inch??) turning upwards of 12,000 RPM in the dirtiest roughest environments that I know of, a lot of guys never bother to maintain them, the rings themselves are no more than 1mm thickness (.040") with the oil ring maybe 1.2mm, if it has an oil ring (some are 2 ring). IF you've worked on/seen/run one of these little crotch rockets that make between 40 and 70hp (single cylinder mind you), you know what I'm talking about. Once you get into the factory racing stuff, the stock stuff looks massive. 2 ring pistons, coated/polished/milled to death, ain't much left of them in order to make them lightweight and run on gasoline. It's ridiculous that they last at all.

the problem with doing that is in an automotive application, they are a little light, because some moron out there is going to buy the lightest piston he can get and throw a 400 shot to it and torch a groove right down the side of it, then go after the manufacturer of the piston saying "it is junk design" while posting all over the net and farsebook about how bad they are.

Seriously, the rails have been commonplace for many many years, they support the oil ring and they do a good job. Where people get messed up is hiring a cheap machinest to machine the block and they run an 80 grit hone into it, hone it to size and call it good. Nary a washing, and certainly not going to a finer grit stone. BTDT. You want cheap labor, you get cheap workmanship.

yes to the 4.125+ bore. Bigger the better. Why? Lot of reasons. Ask the Professor sometime. I ain't got time to explain it all. Or just google it "WJ interview engine" or something along those lines. A nicely built 3.4" stroke 4.125+ bore 8.2 deck will make some steam if you have the parts to let it breathe up high.

·
Vendor
12,241 Posts
I have used alot.of different 331 pistons and alot of them use a rail spacer, so in that situation the rail spacer theory is out the window. So many 331 oil burners are running around I suppose.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well we could go crazy on this why does a chevy 454 not last as long in miles as a chevy 350? I love old chevy suburban trucks the 90s look at the ones with 454s compared to the ones with the 350 most will have a motor rebuild at 180,000 miles and the 350s going all the way to 300,000 miles not sure if im going way off here but but a big cube motor should not work as hard to move that 6000 pounds but yet most of those motors don't last most of the time about 75 to 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
the piston debate...

the problem with doing that is in an automotive application, they are a little light, because some moron out there is going to buy the lightest piston he can get and throw a 400 shot to it and torch a groove right down the side of it, then go after the manufacturer of the piston saying "it is junk design" while posting all over the net and farsebook about how bad they are.
,,,bless their hearts.....

·
Registered
808 Posts
Don't the 408 pistons have oil ring rail spacers too? no one complains of a 408 burning oil...

61 - 72 of 72 Posts