Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What balancer do I need? What weight 28 oz or 50 oz. Everyone seems to be using a 28, what happens if I use a 50 oz. And where is the best place to get one.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
It all depends on how your engine is built (it can be built for either.)

Generally, the engine shops (DSS, Coast high, etc..) build them to accept 28oz. I had mine balanced for 50oz. I did this just because last year before the 306 went by-by, the balancer went out (which is what caused the engine failure) and I bought a $240 50oz. Romac. I told Ron this (Robart- from Fox Lake) and he said no biggie, just bring him my balancer and my flywheel and he would balance it according to those.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
The thing with 50oz balancing a stroker crank is you have to take a good deal of metal out of the crank to get to the 50 oz balance, especially if the crank is forged/cast as intended for 28 oz hardware. I am not doubting Ron Robart, and he knows what he's doing, but you'll have a crank with better structural integrity if you go with a 28 oz crank. You just don't go buy a 28 or 50 oz balancer/flywheel and put it on.

Think of it this way, if you have the tires balanced on your car, and they balanced out perfect, then you wanted to go and put a different wheel weight on the wheel because a car parked beside yours had the same wheel and tire on it and was using different weights than yours, your car would vibrate. You have to go with what the crank is made for.

That's my .02 FWIW......good luck :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
saleen_n_around said:
The thing with 50oz balancing a stroker crank is you have to take a good deal of metal out of the crank to get to the 50 oz balance, especially if the crank is forged/cast as intended for 28 oz hardware. I am not doubting Ron Robart, and he knows what he's doing, but you'll have a crank with better structural integrity if you go with a 28 oz crank. You just don't go buy a 28 or 50 oz balancer/flywheel and put it on.

Think of it this way, if you have the tires balanced on your car, and they balanced out perfect, then you wanted to go and put a different wheel weight on the wheel because a car parked beside yours had the same wheel and tire on it and was using different weights than yours, your car would vibrate. You have to go with what the crank is made for.

That's my .02 FWIW......good luck :)
True, but Ron did assure me that the metal that is removed is non-stuctural integreity metal and WILL NOT WEAKEN the crank. (I hope he was being straight with me:eek: )

·
Registered
331 Posts
I too am using a 50 oz. aftermarket balancer on a 347 stroker, taking metal off the crank does not hurt it at all, I had metal taken off my flywheel as well.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
When I tried to get a 50oz stroker thru DSS, Ton Naegele would not do one for me, as he didn't want to "swiss cheese" the crank in order to 50oz balance it. He had a long logical explanation of why, so I accepted it. After you buy the good Balancer and Flywheel , parts is parts. If you've got it already, go with it. Anyhow, I wound up doing an Eagle 347 Comp Kit with 28oz balance and I am happy with the way its turning out, although it has become the engine build to eternity, as work is keeping me too busy to get it tied up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts