Ford Mustang Forums banner

331 with 6037's?

471 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hardcore302 
#1 ·
I can pick up a pretty nice 331 shortblock for a good price. What I want to know is how will a 331 act with stock 6037's?

#2 ·
I'm not certain what you are asking but that combo should run very well. Ford's 351 385 hp crate engine uses GT40X heads that do not flow as well as the Edels. For a street engine that needs bottom end torque, your setup would be great.

#3 ·
Ahh, that's good to hear. I would most likely do some mild work to them, anyway. You think an RPM Air Gap intake would be sufficient?

#4 ·
The 6037's won't need any work for standard street performance. They are well ported and fairly smooth to begin with. If you do much work to them, you will merely move the power curve up a little - something you may not want for street duty.
The 6037's work great for my 347 so they should also work great on a 331.

#5 ·
thanks for the help!! how much power do you guys think i will make with the proper cam and sufficient intake/carb?

#6 · (Edited)
Is this for a N/A or FI setup?

I have that combo: 331 with untouched 6037s (old model), RPM2 intake. Has a very, very strong mid range (custom cam similar to an comp XE274HR). Only thing I would change if I had to do it again is CR (I got 8.5--should have stayed with 9:1), though it's likely these heads are too small--I'm also blowing 12psi in there--system is getting choked somewhere (maybe the 65mm TB or full exhaust?)...

The heads will be pretty good in an N/A setup (CR around 10->11:1).

I think I'm around 310whp blower belt removed, emissions legit setup.

#7 ·
i have a 331, 6037's, the newer ones, xe266hr, cobra intake. it went 12.50 @110, on nittos. car was all messed up, should be much better now. it was just thrown together and taken to the track. I changed intakes, played with fp and timing, and car feels MUCH better now. but it is not a bad combo. Just wait for the afr bandwagon to get in here, and bash the edelbrocks. It happens every time. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.