Ford Mustang Forums banner

331 Undetermined Noise...need help

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Blwn331 
#1 ·
A couple of days ago, I started to hear a noise from the engine bay.

I've tried to pinpoint the noise with a stethoscope. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side valve cover. I plan to start tearing into it tomorrow morning.

I took a quick video, perhaps someone has run into this type of noise.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
Thought I would bump this up....really haven't been able to dive into it and looking for more suggestions/guidance/assistance before I rip it apart.

I did take the belt off and the chirping noise continued.

I removed the driver's side valve cover and readjusted the #7 and #8 rockers and pushrod guideplates but to no avail.

Thoughts/suggestions??

#9 ·
Take the distributor out and run it. See if the sound goes away. :sneaky:

I remember when my alternator went out. Made a whole lot worse of a sound than that lol.

#16 ·
Ok, quick update....

Changed out the dizzy, to no avail.

Started taking apart the top half. Visually inspected lifters and saw no obvious issues. Still looking at replacing them.

What I did notice was on my SM2 lower intake, the pcv baffle shield was really loose. Don't know (or can't remember) if this how it should be. Looking for feedback.

#19 ·
I was just gonna ask if it was automatic. I had a similar sound once when an aluminum block plate was slightly warped and a tq converter bolt was hitting it.
The other one believe it or not, the PCV valve can sometimes make some ungodly noises especially with a Holly.

well, I hope he didn’t smoke check it.

#20 ·
I did get it resolved...

I ended up taking the heads off. What was obvious was the valves (mainly the intake side) on #8 cylinder was caked heavily with carbon.

All the valves were removed and cleaned, along with the heads. I lapped the valves to ensure I got rid of the pitting.

In addition, I went ahead and replaced the lifters as well.

Put it back all together and fired it up.

Issue resolved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.