Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Just wanted to get some advice on a build i plan on starting next month and wanted some recommendations on if I am heading in the right direction with my build. Advice is very welcome as i have not torn down a motor in quite some time. I am looking to keep this 550+ streetable hp and have fun on the track once and awhile. Looking to keep compression around 8.5:1 to allow for more boost.
Dart 302 Block
AFR 205cc Renegade Heads 58cc
Scat 331 rotating assy. W/ Wiseco professional series pistons.
Ford Racing F303 cam
BBK 80mm Throttle body
Edelbrock Performer RPM II manifold
Need rec. on injectors

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
swap the f cam for a AFM B-31 would be my choice but if you already have the cam. if you're planning on more street than track, i would up the compression a little bit for more throttle response. 9.5:1

others might say 363 or 347 but like i said, if you already have the kit then do it to it.

I loved my 331. it had afr 185 b31 cam trick flow track heat and long tubes.

60# injectors would be great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
swap the f cam for a AFM B-31 would be my choice but if you already have the cam. if you're planning on more street than track, i would up the compression a little bit for more throttle response. 9.5:1

others might say 363 or 347 but like i said, if you already have the kit then do it to it.

I loved my 331. it had afr 185 b31 cam trick flow track heat and long tubes.

60# injectors would be great.
9.5:1 static compression would only allow 4 lbs of boost to play with before im sitting at 12:1after the sc. This is off 92 oct and standard head gasket too so im able to bring it down a fractional amount... but yeah its going to be more street than track. Ill take a look at that cam.

·
Old timer
6,431 Posts
550 "streetable" horsepower?

More displacement.
More static compression.
Better intake manifold.
Better camshaft.

Start there...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What makes you think that? There are guys all over the place running more static and more than twice that boost level A friend of mine runs 9.8:1 and 12 psi on his '99 Cobra. He only runs pumps gas. Runs well. It's just a street car.
I looked at a few charts on jegs website that said i would be sitting at 12:1 after 6 lbs. maybe the info im looking at is incorrect. At 9.5 what do you think boost wise i could run “safely”?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I looked at a few charts on jegs website that said i would be sitting at 12:1 after 6 lbs. maybe the info im looking at is incorrect. At 9.5 what do you think boost wise i could run “safely”?
If you're looking at a chart on the Jeg's website to select compression and boost levels, you need to pause everything you're doing with the engine and either take the time to educate yourself or spend some money talking to a real expert. If that seems blunt or harsh, that' snot the intent.

·
Old timer
6,431 Posts
If you're looking at a chart on the Jeg's website to select compression and boost levels, you need to pause everything you're doing with the engine and either take the time to educate yourself or spend some money talking to a real expert. If that seems blunt or harsh, that' snot the intent.
Glad "you" said this... :cool:

Jegs and Summit are not the place to obtain valid data or develop a well designed combination.

🏁

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
you can get close to 550 but it would be easier with displacement.

my friend has a 363, b31 cam, afr 185s, same Edelbrock intake, with meth injection, 670 to the wheels

but at 17#s and a ti trim

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
you might have to lower your hp expectations a bit. id say with your current combo low 500 and 10#s.

look into the b31 cam. i have it in my 408. basically my whole top end is from my 331. afr 185 heads, b31 cam, trick flow intake. actually the intake on it now is an r series and not a track heat. just about 600 to the wheels. about 400rwhp na. and a si trim at 10#s

·
Old timer
6,431 Posts
you can get close to 550 but it would be easier with displacement.

my friend has a 363, b31 cam, afr 185s, same Edelbrock intake, with meth injection, 670 to the wheels

but at 17#s and a ti trim
Yup - nearly twenty years ago we managed to get a tick under 500RWHP with the NMRA Real Street build with a basically freshened up "stock" shortblock, TW 170 heads, TFS intake and the stock camshaft. Using the ProCharger P1SC-2 but spinning it to the moon and using the required 100 octane fuel.

Streetable? Yeah... but this is a DART block based build so why not "go big" ;)

Reactions: Defectindesign

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not harsh at all! Honestly i havent had to think about this stuff in 10+ years so its a big refresher.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
But if he already has the rotating assembly, hci, picked out, then 500rwhp would be a better goal.

of course this is pushing a stock block but small potatoes for a dart.

might be better off going 351 stock block and good internals and use his current heads and a good cam with a blower. 550rwhp would come with ease

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Not harsh at all! Honestly i havent had to think about this stuff in 10+ years so its a big refresher.
A LOT has changed in the last 10 years technology and knowledgewise. The power you are talking about is easy pickins' witha Dart block.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A LOT has changed in the last 10 years technology and knowledgewise. The power you are talking about is easy pickins' witha Dart block.
Well thank you for the info. Im going to talk to a few people and read up on it a bit more before i buy anything.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Yup - nearly twenty years ago we managed to get a tick under 500RWHP with the NMRA Real Street build with a basically freshened up "stock" shortblock, TW 170 heads, TFS intake and the stock camshaft. Using the ProCharger P1SC-2 but spinning it to the moon and using the required 100 octane fuel.

Streetable? Yeah... but this is a DART block based build so why not "go big" ;)

What was the RPM range on this thing? Like was the party over at 6000 rpm or 6500 rpm?

·
Old timer
6,431 Posts
What was the RPM range on this thing? Like was the party over at 6000 rpm or 6500 rpm?
The car went 10.50s at 129-130 with 4.56 gears and a 10 x 26 slick...

😳

1 - 20 of 27 Posts