Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of putting a stroker kit it my car since I need new rods pistons and crank. I was looking at an Eagle Kit 331 that was only $900. I was wondering what you'lls opinion was on stroking a street car. This car will be daily driven, so I'm wanting something reliable. Do you'll recommend even stroking it since it will be a daily driver? Also, do you all recommend any other stoker kits around that price range. I was wanting to stay away from the 347 for motor life. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I've done so much research on this, I'm in the same situation, stroker for my daily driver. From everything Ive read, and talking to some "real" experts, not just backyard butchers, I've decided on a 347. All the issues associated with oil, longevity, etc. are non-issues if done right. Theres no replacement for displacement. Go big, dont be afraid. By the way, I'm going with the $999 Scat kit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can I find out what all I will have to replace if I go with a 331 stroker kit. I was planning on using gt40p heads and a performer Intake, and some type of cam with the combo, but what about Injectors, Mass Air, and stuff like that. What else will have to be changed?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Both the 331 and 347 strokers will need new balancer, flywheel (assuming 5 speed), larger MAF, TB, EGR and exhaust upgrades assuming car is totally stock.
I agree GT40P's are probably too small but I bet GT40P's, Perfomer, matched cam and 347 would make gobs of torque and a blast to drive on street just don't plan on spinning the motor too high. You could always run this combo and upgrade down the road.
Unless you have plans for boost down the road forget the 331 and get a 347.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could I phyiscally hurt the motor by using the stock injectors, I dont have the money right now, for injectors, egr, and throttle body.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
maybe what you could do is upgrade your current motor with the better components now and then srtroke it later. If you do a 331 with "small" components, you're realy gonna be disappointed with its performance, cuz you'e gonna be expecting alot, but youre setup is really gonna hold it back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
At the time I built my 331 I think it was 1500 for the stroker kit.
Of course I had my TF heads ported,bigger cam,bigger TB and
yes it is much stronger then the 5.0 I had but I think if I had
it all to do over again I believe I would have made the 302
a little stronger and went with a supercharger.There wouldn`t
have been that big a difference in the money and I`ll bet it
would have made more power.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BadassGT:

What do you think about the following setup. Stock block, with gt40p heads with longtube headers and flowmasters. Performer
Intake and some kind of cam, and leaving everything else stock. How many HP improvement over stock you think that will put me?

·
Registered
84 Posts

i was wondering if i could take a stock block, put a dss support girdle with arp studs and bolts, 331 stroker w/ good heads, cam, intake, 150 shot of nitrous. would the block hold all of this safely??

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
but I think if I had it all to do over again I believe I would have made the 302 a little stronger and went with a supercharger.There wouldn`t have been that big a difference in the money and I`ll bet it would have made more power.
Same here!
I'm putting together a stock 302 as we speak..I'm just over $300 into it. Now add heads and SC and you're going to be less $ than building a 331..trust me and probably will be damn close in power. Then as money permits add larger MAF, TB, EGR, intake, etc and power will increase to over what 331 has.

What do you think about the following setup. Stock block, with gt40p heads with longtube headers and flowmasters. Performer Intake and some kind of cam, and leaving everything else stock. How many HP improvement over stock you think that will put me?
That's will be a decent motor and as money permits upgrade intake stuff and exhaust and you should a powerful little motor. Cam is the key to it you may want to talk to custom cam to plan it all out.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Check out my sig, I have no numbers on it but it is a strong street combo. It is my daily driver, I put 17,000 miles on it since last December when I built it. It isn't too hard to drive(a little harder than stock) and gas mileage is surprisingly great. I get about 15-18 in the city but if I drive it hard you can bring that down to 12-15. On the interstate I got 24 mpg with a cobra intake and 24's, I haven't had it on the interstate with this intake yet but in the city there is no mileage difference. If iI had to do it again I would probably get the 347 but other than that, I love it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts