Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That was at the flywheel not the wheels.
Yes sir. I was just showing the engine John built and why he was thinking my 331 will be close to 500 crank hp since this comparable 347 made 551 crank hp. Same heads and similar pistons I am using. My cam is a bit more than the 347’s cam though.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
500 at the crank through a 5 speed is "roughly" 440rwhp. depending on the dyno and operator. it doesn't really matter though if its a cruiser. i have about 700, supercharged 408, i never use it but it sounds nice and Im proud that i did in my driveway.

if you get 400+rwhp from a 331, thats an excellent engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I can’t wait to find out. It’ll be going through a Tremec 3550 to a 4.10 rear end. No power steering or A/C. 1 3/4 long tubes, 2 1/2 inch X pipe to flow master 40’s out to the rear bumper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Nope... flag on the play.

347s with E cams and 11r heads are NOT out here swinging 550 HP,
So, you’re saying John Bouchard, who builds engines for SEMA cars. Who was a host on Horsepower TV. Who builds engines for featured LS Fest cars and many other events didn’t build a 551 hp 347 with an E303 plus cam and 11R 190 heads running on pump gas? I’m gonna see if he has the dyno sheet available and I’ll post a picture of it if he does.

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,158 Posts
So, you’re saying John Bouchard, who builds engines for SEMA cars. Who was a host on Horsepower TV. Who builds engines for featured LS Fest cars and many other events didn’t build a 551 hp 347 with an E303 plus cam and 11R 190 heads running on pump gas? I’m gonna see if he has the dyno sheet available and I’ll post a picture of it if he does.
Not saying he did or didn't but I know for a fact dyno's can be MADE to put up a number YOU want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Not saying he did or didn't but I know for a fact dyno's can be MADE to put up a number YOU want.
I asked him the same question. He told me every time they run an engine that they think will run 1000 plus Hp they have to calibrate the dyno. He believes it was accurate. Anyway, honestly I’ll probably never know, so all I can do is hope when it’s time to run my engine everything is on the up and up. I have no reason to believe it won’t be.

·
Registered
1985 Mustang GT
315 Posts
Just a tad of clarification it is the
I’m starting to hate this thread already.
i believe you did a bad job explaining that it’s the new summit Ecam correct? Not that it would do it but it’s more likely.

·
Registered
474 Posts
dont think it would do that hp 98% of the time.... there may be a few engine builders out there with enough tricks to get it there... or a dyno operator that helps it...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ya, I don’t know how this thread turned into the “no way a 347 made 551hp” thread. I was just using that as an example of what my 331 may be comparable to since we used a few of the same parts. I will be extremely happy with 450 crank hp when it’s all said and done.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Ya, I don’t know how this thread turned into the “no way a 347 made 551hp” thread. I was just using that as an example of what my 331 may be comparable to since we used a few of the same parts. I will be extremely happy with 450 crank hp when it’s all said and done.
[/QUOTE.

looking forward to the results. post them when you get em. gl

·
Registered
1986 Mustang 5.0 5 speed coupe
1,158 Posts
I dont think you realize how long Corral.net has been online with many of its knowledgeable members. For 20+ years of seeing hundreds if not thousands of 347 build threads, a lot of us know what parts it takes to make 550hp 347's. You said that 347 even had a milder cam than yours correct?? The 11r heads, Victor jr and 750dp will support a 550hp 347 but NOT with a MILD hydraulic roller cam.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts