Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a 331 longblock with AFR 185 heads and systemax intake from D.S.S. I need a cam that will take full advantage of the stroker combo. The have a stage 1 trick flow cam suggested but they only carry ford and trick flow cams. This seems small. Any help? Thanks
Shane

Cam specs are 221/225 @.050, lift with 1.6rr .499/.510, lsa 112*

·
Registered
35,053 Posts
Buddy did mine as well - not 331, but custom. Most of the off the shelf cams out there are set up for 302 cubes; Sounds like you've got a really nice set up there to make some serious power. I'd invest another $100 and let them model it for a custom -- anything else is just guessing.

Joe - be sure and pm me with the dyno info. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With 1.7 roller rockers how much extra lift will that provide for the Trickflow cam listed above? The ford cams seem a little out of date and trickflow is my only other choice. The stage two Trickflow is bigger than I would really like to go. I plan on having a t-56 to help with my gas mileage and still don't want an outrageous cam. I know that LS1's don't care about big cams and still get great gas mileage, with a stroker is it the same scenario? Thanks
Shane

·
Registered
734 Posts
Go with Stage 2 you wont be disappointed. Its not that radical. Its fairly mild with your combo. With a motor like that you will want the mid to top range it offers. And the idle is aweome also.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would go custom - Buddy Rawls or Ed Curtis. That's going to get you the best results.

If you must use a Ford or TFS cam, the TFS Stage 2 will be ok. It's definitely not radical. I ran it in a 306 a couple of years ago and it was fairly mild. Your extra cubes will calm it down even more.

·
Registered
35,053 Posts
Went to Trick Flow's site; anybody got .006' duration (advertised) duration numbers on the stage 2? Trying to get an idea of how aggressive (or not, more likely) the ramps are.

·
Registered
311 Posts
ttt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts