Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to come together with my 331 stroker and need some help on a cam for good 90% Street Driving and 10% 1/4 Drag Racing.

Specs on 331:
Stock XXX Block bored 30 over
Eagle 331 Rotating Assembly
I Beam Rods
Victor 5.0
Afr 185cc's (58cc)
Flat Top with 2 Valve Relief- Forged
Looking for 10.5-11.1 Range
93 Octane
Aod with 3500 Stall
30lb Injectors
73mm MAF
70mm Throttle Body

For the Cam I'm leaning towards XFI 236 the smaller version but I've been reading up on them that it's has a slight vacuum problem and that will be a problem for me in the street daily driving. So where I trying to get here is should i get a custom cam or just go with the xfi???:confused:

· Registered
2,819 Posts
Check out Comp's XE274HR, strokers love it.

· Registered
535 Posts
Lets beat this dead horse some more!

seriously, these days there not much reason to not go custom for an extra few bucks. especially if you want it to perform. search function is your friend.

i have an fti cam in my car and i love it.

· Registered
2,819 Posts
seriously, these days there not much reason to not go custom for an extra few bucks. especially if you want it to perform.
Yep, if you're totally clueless about how to choose a cam or you have some really off-the-wall combination, a custom will probably beat an OTS item.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
B cam. /end thread

· Registered
1,020 Posts
xe274, xe284, afm n-71
My afr 185`s ran as good with .550 lift as they did with .608/.586 and both cams had the same 236/244*

· Registered
535 Posts
Yep, if you're totally clueless about how to choose a cam or you have some really off-the-wall combination, a custom will probably beat an OTS item.

Or you could remove the guessing game and get a cam ground exactly for your application. The drivability of a custom cam exceeds any off the shelf cam I've had of similar performance. The price difference is so small, why not just leave it up to the pros? Unless you are one of course. In that case I doubt they'd be asking on a forum. Just my opinion I suppose.

I just don't know of any situation where and ots cam will outperform a custom grind.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
2,819 Posts
Customs are optimized for one particular combination, which is good, but change the setup and you can get out of the "sweet spot" for the cam and you're out more money than you would have been with an OTS. There are plenty of examples where guys have spent $350 for a custom and got the same driveability and only made an extra 5 hp over their old cam. Absolutely nothing against the custom cam providers, they are needed at times, but not for everything. People sometimes act like the big cam companies are stupid. I feel they have the more generic combinations pretty well covered. Just my opinion.

· Registered
1,340 Posts
CAM

My vote would be trick flow stage 3 Cam. I had it with a 347 afr 185 similar setup and it pulled nice uptop and was completely streetable car made just under 400 to the wheels. It also sounded really cool witch I know Ill prolly get laughed at but seriously loved the sound at idle.

· Registered
65 Posts
My vote would be trick flow stage 3 Cam. I had it with a 347 afr 185 similar setup and it pulled nice uptop and was completely streetable car made just under 400 to the wheels. It also sounded really cool witch I know Ill prolly get laughed at but seriously loved the sound at idle.
bad advice. 3500 stall needs a cam to come on right now, i would go with a anderson n61. anderson cams might be 15+ year old dinosaurs, but so is your 302 based engine that was produced in the 1960s.

he will be 3 weeks waiting for that stage 3 to climb through the low range, to mid range to peak. plus that cam drives like ass with its massive duration.

· Registered
65 Posts
Or you could remove the guessing game and get a cam ground exactly for your application. The drivability of a custom cam exceeds any off the shelf cam I've had of similar performance. The price difference is so small, why not just leave it up to the pros? Unless you are one of course. In that case I doubt they'd be asking on a forum. Just my opinion I suppose.

I just don't know of any situation where and ots cam will outperform a custom grind.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
really? i should have my friend log on and tell you about his stage 2 cam versus a bullet "custom" grind on his 347.

· Registered
65 Posts
I'm getting ready to come together with my 331 stroker and need some help on a cam for good 90% Street Driving and 10% 1/4 Drag Racing.

Specs on 331:
Stock XXX Block bored 30 over
Eagle 331 Rotating Assembly
I Beam Rods
Victor 5.0
Afr 185cc's (58cc)
Flat Top with 2 Valve Relief- Forged
Looking for 10.5-11.1 Range
93 Octane
Aod with 3500 Stall
30lb Injectors
73mm MAF
70mm Throttle Body

For the Cam I'm leaning towards XFI 236 the smaller version but I've been reading up on them that it's has a slight vacuum problem and that will be a problem for me in the street daily driving. So where I trying to get here is should i get a custom cam or just go with the xfi???:confused:
you wont need but 55x/56x lift for those aint for racings. 10.5:1 will call for high 23xs on duration, low 24xs on exhaust. you want to drive it on the street, stay with a 110 and get a good tune.

doctor racemaster will prescribe you a .555/.565 236/242 110 custom ground cam. the trick is, finding a good cam grinder to nail your ramp rates.

· Old timer
7,028 Posts
These threads are funny. :)

· Registered
1,340 Posts
RACE MASTER

Yea just giving my advise and its not bad considering my car had a 3200 stall convertor and it drove great on the street sorry that your tuner sux. You say to use a cam with 230-240 duration on 110 witch is a trickflow stage 3 you turd why dont you stop posting bad advise at least mine is real world experience you dont even have a stroker motor according to your car info there.

· Registered
617 Posts
xe274, xe284, afm n-71
My afr 185`s ran as good with .550 lift as they did with .608/.586 and both cams had the same 236/244*

those are all good choices im running NX274HR .550/.570 its another good choice

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.