Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on building a 327 stroker for an OT vehicle. The car is very light and anything over 300 hp to the tires in it will be way more than sufficient. I have a brand new out of production A50 block for the project.

I plan on using AFR heads, not sure whether or not to go with 165s or 185s. If this engine were a revver it wouldn't hurt my feelings. In a 2300 lb car, low end torque really isn't too much of a concern unless you like tire smoke. I will probably use the RPM II manifold, or maybe the new BBK piece they are making.

Anyway, I'm about ready to buy my stroker kit. Considering the power goal of 300-350 rwhp, I know the A50 block will be fine. The question is whether or not to use cast or forged pistons. I like the looks of the SCAT crank compared to the Eagle, but I don't really have a preference.

So for a lower power stroker would you use forged pistons? A power adder is probably out of the question for the life of the car. It'd be insane. There really isn't room for anything other than a KB supercharger or nitrous neither of which really appeal to me. Split A50 blocks and 500 hp in a 2300 lb car with skinny tires doesn't sound like good fun to me.

I want something stock reliable running EEC-IV electronics and very streetable. I will probably end up with a custom cam that can pass emissions. I want an intake and heads that can also pass smog and have the appropriate air injection and EGR passages.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
185's all the way if you are putting this in such a light vehicle. I would go for a cast crank and I beam rods, pistons it doesn't really matter if you are NA... cast will be just fine but most stroker kits come with forged pistons anyway.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
i'd say 185 afr's and go with some forged internals whenever you can. It's always better to be safe then sorry....

·
Registered
547 Posts
no power adder = cast (less expense)
power adder = forged ( more expense)
If ther is the slightest chance yuomay want apower adder in the future go forged if you can afford it, that way your set and don't have to tear it down to add the power adder later.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Anthony,

Made your way out of the newsgroups?? :D

KB Hypers would work fine in said application. That said you're going to get opinions either way, newer forgings require as little as .0025" piston to wall clearance so any rattle or other rumor isn't applicable. The forging is more forgiving to tuning mistakes and is also safer under extreme conditions, the later wouldn't apply but should be noted.

Forged pistons cost us roughly the same as a KB Hypers so we usually use them but that's just us.

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts