Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, my buddy bought an 03 cobra last year & the mod bug hit 'em. now hes looking for traction & asked me if i thought the 315/35/17 nitto drag radial would fit inside his rear wheel well area w/o rubbing issues on his factory svt wheels. i know the nittos run a bit narrow so i figure they are about equal in size to a 295/35/17 regular radial tire in width. i reached my hand behing his wheel/tire & found there isnt much room on the inside of the current tire(275/40/17) so this is what leads me to you guys, can it fit? id hate to tell him to go to the 275/40/17 nitto drag radial & look more narrow than the front fitment! hes not a fan of the "life" of the BFG's either so those arent an option. any input is appreciated.
thanx

·
Registered
463 Posts
I wouldn't put them on the stock 9" rim. If you can manage to get them on the rim they will bulge too much for my taste and handling will go to crap. You will have rubbing with the IRS bolt with the 315s. Some people shave it down enough to provide clearance and others buy a 1" spacer.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the input. The bolt issue was the info I was looking for. As far as the nitto fit & handling I'm very familiar with. I've run the 315/35's on my 17x9" cobra r's on my fox body before I got more into drag. The nittos do run narrow and slight buldge is there but not near as bad as if it were any other make/brand. Plus the nitto sidewall carcass is pretty sturdy for a drag compound tire.....either way, I doubt he'll be interested in the wheels adaptors or grinding any factory parts to get the fit.......
Thanx again,
-justin

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I don't believe there is any clearance problem with 315 Nitto DR's on stock wheels, (just wider aftermarket wheels with more BS) and they do work well at strip at low pressure.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
It stands to reason that by putting a 315 on a 9 inch rim you're not changing the width of the tire.

It's the tire that rubs, not the rim.

Shorten the head of the bolt or use a spacer. I dont know you'd want to risk it.

Alan

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Big Top GT said:
It stands to reason that by putting a 315 on a 9 inch rim you're not changing the width of the tire.

Alan
Actually the width changes considerably. You loose about 1/2" in tire width for each 1" you go more narrow on rim width. Most think Nitto Dr's run a little narrow, and they do a little, but put one on a 10.5" proper width wheel (for handling) and it looks much wider. There are lots of 03's at the strip with 315 DR's on stock wheels without clearance issues. Put same tire on 10.5" wheel with about 6.5" BS, and you need a spacer.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
97white46gt said:
From what I understand the 315 nittos run fairly narrow.... Several people have told me they are equivalent to about a 285 BFG....
They do if on a 9" wheel, but Nitto recommends 10.5" and wider for that tire. DOT approved tire widths are always listed in section widths...which is highly dependent on wheel widths. Non DOT approved tires like slicks...widths quoted in tread widths.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I myself am on the fence whether or not to go with the 17x10.5" Replicas and a set of 315 Nittos. If I knew the ride quality wouldnt suffer, I would be on tires.com ordering them right now. Does anybody have this setup on a convertible ? Does it ride a lot harsher ?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I've observed lots of 03's getting good times from the 17X9/Nitto 315 mismatch. At low pressure they get a very good flat footprint. So works good at the strip, even if street handling at normal pressure suffers.

Off topic a little...but some do this just for the wide look. But for a wide look in rear, you need a wide wheel. Wide tire on narrow wheel just makes tire look narrow as some noted above.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
cdh027 said:
I myself am on the fence whether or not to go with the 17x10.5" Replicas and a set of 315 Nittos. If I knew the ride quality wouldnt suffer, I would be on tires.com ordering them right now. Does anybody have this setup on a convertible ? Does it ride a lot harsher ?
If drag racing with 315 Nitto DR's, I bet they work better on stock 17X9. For handling, they work beter on 10.5" wheel.

On 03 with IRS bolt, you do need to use spacer or something to run 10.5" rear wheel with 315 (but not 285).

I imagine the 275X40X17 BFG DR on stock 17X9 would have best traction of all, and handle OK, but would wear fast and be awful in rain. But you would save a lot. Just get extra rear 17X9 wheel and put BFG Dr on it for strip use and matching look. Both wheel and tire are cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ralph Greene said:
If drag racing with 315 Nitto DR's, I bet they work better on stock 17X9. For handling, they work beter on 10.5" wheel.

On 03 with IRS bolt, you do need to use spacer or something to run 10.5" rear wheel with 315 (but not 285).

I imagine the 275X40X17 BFG DR on stock 17X9 would have best traction of all, and handle OK, but would wear fast and be awful in rain. But you would save a lot. Just get extra rear 17X9 wheel and put BFG Dr on it for strip use and matching look. Both wheel and tire are cheap.
Ralph, I'm actually considering this combo for a beefier wide look out back with a slight increase in traction over the stock Goodyears. I'm just worried the car will ride a little rougher or handle worse on the street :confused:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I just run 28-29 lbs iin rear (cold seting) for better ride on my 18" rears. I have vertical sidewalls also. I much prefer proper fitting tires for street use.

I run 255X40X18 tires on my 18X9 wheels (on purpose). I bet they handle better than 275X35X18 tires most use, and they weigh about 2 lbs each less weight to reduce unsprung weight.

I would think the guys using those 30 lb 17X10.5" wheels with probably 35 lb rear tires are adding about 10 lbs each wheel/tire combo over stock. This extra 10 lbs has to be stopped and acelerated. Probably slows most of them down a tenth or so in 1/4 and doesn't help traction. For better traction go to 16" or 15". A little bit of section height is worth more than a little bit of section width.
Example...A BFG 255X50X16 DR on 16X8 (light) wheel will hook better than a 315 DR on 17X10.5". Flexible sidewalls rule at the strip. MHO

·
Formerly DroptopVenom
69 Posts
So Ralph, what would you recommend getting for occasional strip use but mostly street with good straight line traction? I was looking into the Nitto DR's 315/35/17's on a 10.5" rim but you said it may be better to stick with the standard 9"? I want to buy a pair of extra rims in the next few months but I don't want to get 10.5" if I don't need them.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
For a 98 (no IRS bolt clearance issues), get 15X8 race wheels (just a little grinding) with 275X50X15 BFG Dr's (incredible traction) or just put some BFG 275X40X17 DR's on matching 17X9's like you have now and have 2 sets of matching rears.

You could use slicks or ET Streets, but if using stock radial fronts, you sway around a lot with bias rears, so i don't like that.

·
Formerly DroptopVenom
69 Posts
The only reason I was hesitant about the BFG's is that I heard the life expectancy was low. I like the idea of matching rims b/c I'd like to keep the Dr's on as long as possible (except going on long trips, etc). I do need to go with a narrower tire up front (like a 255) b/c the 285's up front are killing me...just too damn heavy. I hate making these decisions :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Some will disagree with this, but I don't think tire width when you're talking 255,275,315 ets has much to do with forward traction. There are lots of other variables such as tire compound, side wall height and flexibility, air pressure, launch style, etc that matter a lot more.

For example; Jay over at Lamotta's is running mid 11's with his mildly modified 03 Cobra using some 17X8 98 Cobra wheels and 275X40X17 Nitto DR's left over from years ago from my old car, before I moved on to 15" Bogarts for rear. It doesn't take anything fancy to run good. However, he is a good driver.

·
Formerly DroptopVenom
69 Posts
So with that, I can probably stick with 275/40/17 dr's and save some money both with the smaller tire and smaller wheel. Hell if they're good enough for the Lamotta guys they're definitely good enough for me...And since I'm not the best driver in the world it's a good place to start :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
DroptopVenom said:
The only reason I was hesitant about the BFG's is that I heard the life expectancy was low. I like the idea of matching rims b/c I'd like to keep the Dr's on as long as possible (except going on long trips, etc). I do need to go with a narrower tire up front (like a 255) b/c the 285's up front are killing me...just too damn heavy. I hate making these decisions :rolleyes:
Yes...BFG life is short and they are terrible in the rain. But they hook.

BTW when the 95 Cobra R came with those very nice strong hi quality 22 lb 17X9 wheels, it came from the factory with 255X45X17 tires, which I believe is best size for street use with 17X9 (especially in front).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts