Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking to start building a 306, would it be wiser for me to buy one from dss or someplace or would the stock block be good to use. Im tryin to get away as cheap as possible but im not looking to sacrifice alot of quality, if its not good to use the stock block let me know thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I built my own 306, using stock block. I had a local engine shop do the boring. Stock crank and forged pistons with a 150 shoot and it runs like a scalded dog. That is the best way I thought considering dss wanted so much for theres. Note that this was my first engine build so it will take time if it is yours, but it was a great learning experience.:lol:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was interested in doing the same thing and this iswhat they quoted me - I'd still need a new cam, pistons, oil pump, and timing chain and a main girdle. Here is what they wanted to do:

Bored .030 - $125 ($200 w/ torque plate)
Line honed (might not be necessary) - $125
Block checked and tanked - $50 + 20
Recondition rods - $120 (is this necessary?)
Crank polished and check - $180 ($50 if it doesn't need to be turned)
block decked - $100
Balance rotating assemble - $225 (probably not necessary, but it can't hurt)
cam bearings - $30
assembly - $200
ARP studs for the rods - $???

He also wants me to bring in the heads to check clearance - said if they need to be clearanced it's $150 and if he needs to resurface them (probably not) it's another $60.

Could I eliminate any of the work they want to do? I was looking to get ~275rwhp on the motor and then spray a 150hp wet shot on top of that. I'm going to be running GT-40Ps, Explorer intake and a cam to be determined later.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys.... anyone else used the stock block with good results? what are some hp/tq #'s?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts