Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a debate here about what to do with my motor when I get it rebuilt. Right now my motor has 131,000 miles on it and is very worn. I'm averaging about 200 miles to a quart of oil, yeah that bad! So the question is what is in store next. I cracked the high 13's but, i'm already bored with that. So I'm thinking a 306 with a real nice set of heads and cam or a 347 stroker. Now I would like to know what everyone thinks of each, I would also like people that have these types of motors to give me their opinons. I want to know the pluses and minuses of each motor. Now this car is a daily driver 12 months of year (when it snows bad, I take my moms). I also would like to take the car down the shore which is about a 90 mile trip. I was told by one well known high performance engine builder that he would make me a 347 stroker for under $4,500 and I know I could get him for less (that's including the block, ported heads, custom cam, and ported intake and all the other misc. stuff). So like I said earlier I want to know the realiability of these motors, including the 306, and gas mileage just for the hell of it. If you would like please e-mail me too if you have the time. My e-mail is [email protected]

My current mods are, K&N, 65mm TB, cobra intake, underdrive pulleys, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, timing advanced, equal length headers, off road h pipe, 2 chamber flowmaster cat-back, 3.73 gears, aluminium drivershaft, ford motorsport clutch.

Thank you

·
Registered
208 Posts
just what I read here!

I guess its just a bunch or hear say so take it with a grain of salt.

Ive heard that lots of 347 engines dont have good rod angles causing cyliner wall side loading leading to oil consumption after relatively little use....This makes it not a good choice for a heavily used street car. Probe makes a kit with offset piston pins but I think there are various opinions regarding its efficiency.

For 4500.00 I would guess you could build a decent blown set up with the 306 for about the same cost (classifieds!!), and get good daily drivable power too!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Or you could use the Corral Search function (IT WORKS!) to find out all about 306s, 331s and 347s as well as the blatantly incorrect internet rumors surrounding each of them.

John.

<EDIT> I re-read my post and it looked like I was being a smartass (which, truth be known, I probably was).... ANYWAY... I'm serious. This has be sliced and diced 1000s of ways. The people who KNOW what is going on most likely won't respond because it's been covered so many times.

Do a search on 347 and you'll find 100's of posts. Ignore the BS 'I heard' responses and look for the people who actually run them. <EDIT>

·
Registered
654 Posts
Go with 347 and dont look back! If built right should last as long as 306. I went the built 306 route and am kicking myself, after all the $$ I dished out it just wasn't enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts