Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing my first fox build and I was wanting to put a on3 turbo kit on it, but tunes are pretty pricey here so I was going to run a bbk fmu on it. Any recommendations? The setup on the car is trick flow 36# injectors, gt40p heads, b303 cam, 987-16 Comp springs, upper and lower typhoon intake, 70mm throttle body (no egr), with a ford maf sensor. I am running a stock computer and only wanting to run low boost as of right now 5-10#.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
FMU's are old school, terrible alternatives to getting a tune that feeds the correct amount of fuel. Stay away from them. Just save up for a tune, and/or get a stand alone system. You risk detonating your entire engine. You'll then be buying a tune and an engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FMU's are old school, terrible alternatives to getting a tune that feeds the correct amount of fuel. Stay away from them. Just save up for a tune, and/or get a stand alone system. You risk detonating your entire engine. You'll then be buying a tune and an engine.
Ok thankyou. I'm glad I asked cause I'd be pissed if I had to buy a new engine. What's your opinion on a micro squirt? I would go with a mega squirt but I'm not ready to drop over a grand on a computer

·
Registered
912 Posts
Even a Stock HO cam with 1.7 rockers would work alot better on a turbo engine than a B303. Too much overlap kills some of the drive pressure needed to spool the turbo.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Microsquirt is good for a motorcycle, but with a turbo V8 in a car you'll outgrow it immediately.

You don't need to spend over a grand to get a real Megasquirt - you can get a plug-and-play setup for $839.

If you're willing to build your own kit you can get the MS3 kit for $445 and the MS3X expansion board for $110 and you'll have full sequential fuel and spark with boost control and all of the goodies for $560.

It's definitely the cheapest way to get a full-function standalone.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Microsquirt is good for a motorcycle, but with a turbo V8 in a car you'll outgrow it immediately.

You don't need to spend over a grand to get a real Megasquirt - you can get a plug-and-play setup for $839.

If you're willing to build your own kit you can get the MS3 kit for $445 and the MS3X expansion board for $110 and you'll have full sequential fuel and spark with boost control and all of the goodies for $560.

That computer is batch fire not sequential. I asked them about it when l considered using one on my Capri.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts

We have had very good luck with our ls powered, Chinese turbo‘D combo‘s with micro squirt and have yet to grow out of it. Must be different for ford stuff?

you have out grown micro squirt in one of your cars?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I hate to ask you this but could you link me to the kits? Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We have had very good luck with our ls powered, Chinese turbo‘D combo‘s with micro squirt and have yet to grow out of it. Must be different for ford stuff?

Nice man! I have a buddy who runs micro squirt on his nitrous fox and hs loves it

·
Registered
3,579 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
I hate to ask you this but could you link me to the kits? Thanks
MS3 kit:

MS3X card:

If you're at all nervous about wiring their wiring pigtails are nice - color coded and printed. They're pricey, though, so if you're pinching pennies and willing to do the work yourself they're not 100% necessary.

·
Registered
328 Posts

I went straight to MS3X because I wanted sequential ignition and injection. Microsquirt has 2 fuel and can be modified for 4 ignition channels, so you can run batch fire fuel and waste spark. Honestly it's probably fine and I doubt sequential is really doing that much for me.

I'm doing variable-slip traction control with 2 VSS inputs, oil and fuel pressure monitoring, launch control with clutch input switch and variable RPM input, dual wideband O2 inputs, PWM fan control, MAF input, PWM idle control, and interfacing with the stock dashboard oil pressure light, check engine light, traction control light, tach, fuel mpg gauge, and more. Microsquirt doesn't have the IO to accomplish all of that, and I don't even have boost or nitrous control to worry about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MS3 kit:

MS3X card:

If you're at all nervous about wiring their wiring pigtails are nice - color coded and printed. They're pricey, though, so if you're pinching pennies and willing to do the work yourself they're not 100% necessary.
Thanks bud!

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The B303 with the turbo will work. If you have it (looks like you do?), you can run it. A friend of mine has a single turbo LX hatchback with a B303 and it runs very well. But there are better cams for turbo usage. The stock HO cam at the stock lift on the stock E7TE heads can make enough power to expire the factory block. The F303 should work fairly well and there are several other aftermarket cams that would work well too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The B303 with the turbo will work. If you have it (looks like you do?), you can run it. A friend of mine has a single turbo LX hatchback with a B303 and it runs very well. But there are better cams for turbo usage. The stock HO cam at the stock lift on the stock E7TE heads can make enough power to expire the factory block. The F303 should work fairly well and there are several other aftermarket cams that would work well too.
Yeah I already have the b303 cam I got it with my heads. Thanks for the info bud! I'll stick with this setup and just send it

·
Registered
817 Posts

Pimpxs is just a touch bit more expensive and fully sequential.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts