Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Doing a rebuild right now on my roller 302; I'm nearing the end of it and was priming my oiling system to check the pressure after adding about a half quart and tightening everything. Primed a few other times to set lash and check pressure with no issues, but this time oil started coming out of the exit on the water pump. I didn't replace the pump gasket because I left it attached to the timing cover. Is this a timing cover gasket issue, a timing cover crack, or is there some coolant passage crack and the whole new engine is just destroyed? I've attached a picture of the situation.
Took the pump off, it's coming out of the (facing front of engine) right side water hole in the timing cover/pump. If someone has had this issue or can speak more to it, please help. I'm hoping it's something that can be fixed or even a cracked timing cover.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Did you put all of the water pump bolts back in their original holes? Did any of the water pump bolts get tight before bottoming? Did you force it?

I'm guessing that you punched the water pump bolt either above or below the water passage from the pump into an oil gallery passage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you put all of the water pump bolts back in their original holes? Did any of the water pump bolts get tight before bottoming? Did you force it?

I'm guessing that you punched the water pump bolt either above or below the water passage from the pump into an oil gallery passage.
Yes, all original holes, didn't force any of them. They all went in smoothly and by hand and then just required a ratchet to torque/snug. I also primed the system like 3 other times before this with no issues. It was only on this one that something happened, and I hadn't changed anything in regards to the timing cover or pump.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Gotta be a hole or crack in the cover. Should be easy to spot if oil is pouring out like that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotta be a hole or crack in the cover. Should be easy to spot if oil is pouring out like that.
Yeah I got the pump off and that's how I was able to see that the oil is coming out of right side port in the timing cover. I'm waiting on a puller so I can remove the balancer and get the timing cover off. I'm hoping it's a crack in the cover and not in the block.

·
Registered
1965 ford mustang
28 Posts
Probably a cracked cover. Take the water pump off and try priming it and see where it’s coming from.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably a cracked cover. Take the water pump off and try priming it and see where it’s coming from.
Good idea. I can try that. I'll have to go slow though cause it shot out last time with quite some force.
Off topic, but what kinds of pressures should a 302 have when priming? I read that people were happy with 55-65 after a fresh rebuild and that 75+ was too much. I was getting like 58 but after switching modes on my drill I managed 66psi.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What work did you do to the motor? Did you have the intake and heads off the car? What configuration was the engine in for the other times that you primed the oil pump?

I don't buy a cracked cover because the oil has to come from somewhere. The only time a cracked cover would leak is while the engine is running, and then it would be a drip and not a fountain.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What work did you do to the motor? Did you have the intake and heads off the car? What configuration was the engine in for the other times that you primed the oil pump?

I don't buy a cracked cover because the oil has to come from somewhere. The only time a cracked cover would leak is while the engine is running, and then it would be a drip and not a fountain.
Everything. Old motor for my truck suddenly went from V8 to V6. Got a partially assembled motor, stripped it down, honed, cleaned, then reassembled with fresh bearings and gaskets. The first time I primed was just a tester and there was a leak from the oil pressure gauge not being connected, then it sat for a few minutes and I primed again for like 30 seconds to pump the lifters and adjust the rockers. Earlier today I added about a half quart of oil because it was low, then primed again and got 66. Then lastly I primed again to check for any oil wet spots or leaks before hoisting the engine into my truck. During that last one is when the water pump starting spewing fluid.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Sounds like a defect in the front cover. Did you drill the front galley plug behind the dist gear? That may be shooting oil onto the area that is compromised and finding its way out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a defect in the front cover. Did you drill the front galley plug behind the dist gear? That may be shooting oil onto the area that is compromised and finding its way out.
No I did not. Not quite sure what that is, so no. Is that something I need to do?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
No I did not. Not quite sure what that is, so no. Is that something I need to do?
I'm just asking to find out how that much oil is making its way into the water pump cavity area. If you have a bore scope, it may help you find the issue faster. Did you install the correct backing plate for your WP?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just asking to find out how that much oil is making its way into the water pump cavity area. If you have a bore scope, it may help you find the issue faster. Did you install the correct backing plate for your WP?
I didn't remove the WP at first, I kept it attached to the timing cover. First time I removed it was today after the issue.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I didn't remove the WP at first, I kept it attached to the timing cover. First time I removed it was today after the issue.
Definitely want to replace all the front cover and WP gaskets at this point and check fasteners for oil on threads.

Did you replace the timing set? Is it an older style with a one or two piece FP eccentric?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Definitely want to replace all the front cover and WP gaskets at this point and check fasteners for oil on threads.

Did you replace the timing set? Is it an older style with a one or two piece FP eccentric?
Yeah timing cover had a fresh gasket but I'll probably have to buy another one at this point. All long fasteners came out dry, short ones are still in until I can get that balancer puller. Yes, timing set is brand new as well. No external mech fuel pump, 92 F-150.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Yeah timing cover had a fresh gasket but I'll probably have to buy another one at this point. All long fasteners came out dry, short ones are still in until I can get that balancer puller. Yes, timing set is brand new as well. No external mech fuel pump, 92 F-150.
Thats alot of oil if it was coming from a splash lubricated area. Somewhere you broke into or insufficiently sealed a pressurized oil galley. Sometimes all it takes is left over rtv sealer in a blind hole thread to cause a hydraulic crack by tightening a fastener into it. It could feel like you're just squishing the gasket down as you're tightening everything when in fact a thread is bottoming against some junk in a blind hole. In that case the bolt threads may not show oil residue.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts