Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

· Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I was speaking specifically to the springs capacity. Whether they have enough pressure for any one cam is another issue. The 8017 and 8019 will both support .650 lift.
That's kinda what I'm looking for Woody. A cam that kinda hits my combo that will get me where I want. If custom grind is my only opinion then that's what I will do

· Premium Member
331 Posts
It's 10.0 compression motor. Summit self learning efi, I will degree cam but that's what I'm looking for. Best cam for combo
It should be easy then. The cam you have is fully capable of meeting your goals once setup correctly

· Premium Member
331 Posts
I dont have a cam.. thats the question I'm asking
Ok, got it.
N51
N41 degreed with 1.7s
XE274 degreed
Our Stage 2
TFS Stage 1 degreed with 1.7s
These and similar cams with the mentioned parts will get you to your goals easily. Its really not hard at all.

· Registered
696 Posts
Some things that will help your stock build:
28oz. balance Cast Crank
5140 RPM or Scat I-Beam Rods
Windage Tray
Cloyes 9-3635X9 Timing Chain
Electric water pump

I will refrain from suggesting a cam, I have less experience than others in that area.

· Registered
65 fastback pump gas .060 289 (297) solid roller, T5 all motor. 11.12 122 mph
1,756 Posts
I sold my 408 and im going to build a 302 to run until I build my new motor. Ive built several 302s with several combinations......here's my questions. Motor is 10.0 compression, AFR 165 heads, rpm air gap intake, summit max efi system, other than going custom grind, from yalls experience, what cam???? I ran a XE274 before and it ran good but im hoping someone has a little better cam for this combo. I want to run 11s with a 306. Car has plenty rear suspension, 5 speed, and 3.73s. Thinking of going to 4.10s to help me get there
With what you describe it would be difficult to not to be capable of running an 11.99 or better.

· Registered
4,028 Posts
Guys all of you know the answer, but refuse to say it.

B303 all damn day.

Seriously, have you looked into Summits line of 303 cams?

Also what is summit efi? is it something they rebranded or is it their own?

· Registered
696 Posts
Seriously, have you looked into Summits line of 303 cams?

Also what is summit efi? is it something they rebranded or is it their own?
Im not OP but I’ve skimmed over those Summit cams and they seem far from the old letter cam specs, in a good way of course. Know anyone with good results running one?
Yea that summit EFI stuff is like the FAST system and the Holley TB system combined with the fuel injection on the TB unit.

· USAF retired
10,254 Posts
You mean 8019s....I bought a set from you for my AFR 185s bc I was floating the valves with a comp XE282 cam on the 8017s
The lobes on those cams are pretty aggressive, so needs a stout spring. If you've got to buy a cam there's plenty of guys can get you something better than that one.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
The cams im considering are the XE274, TFS stage 2, AFM N51, unless I find one of those used, I'll go with FTI custom
If its just budget temp combo of used or spare parts and the car is a decent weight and can 60ft just get a cheap Elgin 1836-p, same grind as the first gen Tfs 2 cam, before they tweaked the specs a little around 04-05 or so. You can still find those for around $200 brand new even cheaper used..

· Old timer
7,012 Posts
Lot of typical internet theories but how many have actually done it in the real world?

· Registered
608 Posts
Kinda what I'm wondering. Best I've been with a 302 is 12.6. That was also with ported GT40 heads, X cam, and Edelbrock RPM 2 intake. Im sure that combo could have been faster with better cam and heads
This list should give you some inspiration. Some good data.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts