Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded to a 89 lx that has a engine and transmission that was not in the car and it was not running when I got it, I do not know the year or vehicle it came out of. Im new to building and working with engines and just want input on what to do to the engine while I have it out of the car for the winter. Im going strictly drag with the car and have a general idea of where I'm going with it but just want your input. Im switching it from FI to a Carb also so please give me anything you've learnt from past experiences on a build or your opinion on parts. Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You can largely ID the engine using the date code and partial VIN; both on the block. You can check things out and if in good shape get a new timing set, oil pump & shaft, gaskets, etc. If not, or you want more it's just time & money!

If stock or close, I'd stuff a Weiand X-Celerator intake, 600cfm double humper, and long tubes with 3:55's out back...then go flog its ass!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im also wanting to get as close to pushing 350+hp N/A as possible, this is going to be a over winter engine build so i have time and don't really have a budget but don't want to spend loads of money on it. Thanks for all the help so far!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Its not cheap to get 350rwhp out of a 302 reliably N/A

your best bet would be to do a near stock rebuild and just put a turbo kit on it

first thing you want to do it ditch the stock heads and get a set of aftermarket heads

and keep the fuel injection youll be happier

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice but due to the wiring harness being cut all to pieces I'm going to switch to carb. Also I'm not looking into any power adders right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts