Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High all -

I would like to go back with tailpipes on my 1989 LX. The car has 28X12.5 ET streets so fitment is an issue. I will be installing a sumped tank with the new fuel system so I can cut and weld if necessary.

Does anyone have 3" tips on a car with similar tires? I really want to make the car look stock again and hopefully the tailpipes will quiet it down a little bit and help hide the cam.

Anyways, looking for some input and pictures if possible! Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
tailpipes

my brother has 3 inch tailpipes on his 85 gt without any clearance issues. he has a 275/60/15 on his car. as for the tailpipes making it look and sound more stock that isnt true. my friend recently put his tailpipes back on his car and you can hear the cam now more than ever. oh yeah and they clear with a 28x10.5 slick. good luck!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12sec50 - Are the slicks he using ET Drag or ET Street? What brand catback 3" setup is he using?

I know it will magnify the sound at WOT and partial load, but I was under the impression that at idle it would make it a little less loud. Anyways, I want the car back to looking stock.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool! Thanks for the info. I'd be interested to see a pic of what the 3" tips look like if he or you have access to a digi camera and have a few spare minutes...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just put on 15x9 welds with 28x11.5 et streets, which are pretty much the same as 28x10 slicks, and I'm also using a MAC 3 inch catback. I have plenty of clearance on both sides. I'd have to agree w/12sec50, it really didn't quiet the car down very much campared to my previous 2 chamber dumps setup :confused: It is a little more tolerable inside the car though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just wondering if a set of ET Streets 26 X 11.5 X 16 will fit under neeth a Fox body w/ any trouble. on 16X8 wheels 2/ 5" of backspacing. Thanks, BIll

1 - 7 of 7 Posts