Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the tire shop. 3 out of my 4 2k cobra R (chrome!!) wheels are significantly bent on the inner rim. I've never hit anything other than the ordinary pothole.

They were able to balance them, but you can guess how many weights it took.

I bought the wheels through GEF about 6 months ago. Think I have a warranty claim?

·
Registered
147 Posts
give it a shot, what do you have to lose, a phone call?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of what I was thinking.

They'll prolly just say sorry. But who knows, maybe they'll discount some other part for me!

It's just frustrating when you pay that much for something and it breaks that quickly and easily. Should of bought the imitation r's, maybe they're stronger!?!

Anyone else looked at their r's lately? Jack up your car, rotate the tire and look at the inside lip. You might be surprised.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I know the feeling one of my Weld Draglites for rear is out of round. Box was never damaged and I never hit anything to bend it. Its not bad but it wasnt noticed untill having a dyno.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
go to a rim repair shop if you cant get new ones under the warantee. I have one bent rim on my car, it's the 98 Cobra style rim and they repair shop said $30-$40 for a repair. Not sure if chrome would cost more but it's certainly alot cheaper then buying all new rims.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a warranty on FMS stuff.:confused:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Gotta love those low profile tires. I have replaced all 4 of my rims since I bought the car, and I wouldn't be surprised if one or two need replacing right now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
this may be a stupid question, but how do you know if you have a bent rim:confused:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Mount the wheel on the balance machine and spin it. If it's bent, you'll see it. On 2 of my wheels, you could tell they were bent just by looking at the wheel when they were off the car. A slight bend won't hurt if the wheel is still straight, but in some cases, it really affects the balance.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nearly 20,000 miles on my GEFracing 18x9.5 Chrome 2kR rims 275/35/18zr tires.
All 4 rims have had the tires removed and reinstalled more then once by 2 different shops. Yes the rims have weights on them but no more or less then normal.

I have heard other stories like this, but no complaints so far.

What does low profile tires have to do with bent rims? Other then less tire and more rim to smack the curb.

thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A low profile tire doesn't absorb as much of the impact as a tire with more of a sidewall. So, more force is transferred to the rim making it easier to bend.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Well, that settles it. I'm going with 17" AFS cobras. The roads around here in Boston are just terrible...horrible. I had been considering 2K R's, but with the road conditions, 17"s make more sense.

Zinc, I hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This thread may have changed my mind too. I was about to get some 18" rims and seeing all the denting complaints here, I think it may be better to just stick with 17's. Maybe get some 18's for autocrossing next year...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, more bad news. I talked with GEF and as expected, no warranty.

However, I talked with a local wheel shop and they said if the damage isn't too bad, they can fix it in shop starting at $35 and going up depending on the work needed. If they can't fix it in shop, they have to send them out and then it gets $$$$.

For now I think I'll just wait. I'm driving 200 miles a day on very rough roads, so fixing them would probably be useless. In the future when my commute shortens, I probably will take them to the shop for repairs. If you guys are interested, I'll let you know the outcome.

Bryan:(

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
highmiles said:
What does low profile tires have to do with bent rims? Other then less tire and more rim to smack the curb.

thanks
To add to what 00ZincVert said, a low profile tire has less distance between the outer edge of the rim and the road. So when you hit a pothole, it's easier for the rim to contact the edge of the pothole. At 60 mph, it doesn't take much of a hit to bend a rim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts