Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok - heres the deal.

The guy who runs an automotive repair business in his free time has had my car for the past 3 months! In this 3 month time period he was supposed to have done and completed the following:

Install new oil pan + rear main seal
Install Crossmember + new motor mounts
Paint + Install - front bumper cover, 2 front 1/4 panels and a rear 1/4 panel.

To date he hasnt successfully completed the oil pan install yet and hasnt even started on the body work yet.

Granted this is a one man shop and hes very busy but come on - 3 months. Thats a bit to much. He keeps telling me he'll have it done this weekend, then it's soemthing came up and will be done next weekend. I think my car has sat more often than having work done to it. Just recently he started ignoring my calls (saying he sees them come through but he cant answer them) Funny when I have someone else call from a different phone he answers them just fine.

His excuse is that the car was so rusty on the underside its taken him a while - which is fine but he was the one who agreed to take on the project and knew about that stuff. Then he got the pan in and it leaked, the 2nd time he put it all back in he nicked the seal so it leaks again. He's working on this for the 3rd time now on just the oil pan. The building he's in just recently got sold and hes getting short on time to finish everyones stuff before the lease is up so now I'm worried he's going to do a half ass job on my car just for the sake of time.

What do you guys think I should pay this guy (I would like to pay him nothing but I have to pay something for his "labor" into it)
He says sometime between tonight and wednesay the oil pan will be in (no body has been done or will be done). He said the parts are out for paint right now. Seeing I've already paid $500 for the parts if they arent back from paint when I go to pick up the car wednesday night I'm going to say the hell with it and request my $500

Feedback please

/End Rant

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I definitely would not pay full price on whatever paperwork you get. If it he charges you, for example, 20 hours labor @ $50/hr., only pay him for 15 hours work. It's a fair deal considering how much of a putz he is. All that work besides paint could be done in one day or less if you have the right tools.

Check and make sure the parts ARE OUT for paint. If they're not, take them back and take them elsewhere. If they already went out, go to the place they are at and pick them up if they haven't been touched. They can't charge you for babysitting untouched parts. You're going to end up paying and waiting for the installation of these parts too, so make sure your "automotive businessman" doesn't get his hands on them.

Busy or not, this guy sounds like a real bonehead. Only pay for what you have to. He sure doesn't deserve your money.

My car was at a Ford dealership for a month and week, and all they did was hack some wiring up to fix it and install a new computer. It took them a month to diagnose the problem, and I know for a fact 3/4 of the time it was there it just sat in the lot. I complained to the right people and ended up only paying for 5 hours labor instead of 8, plus at a discounted rate/hr.

If after all this he makes you pay for everything, take it to court if you want. I'm sure the judge would rule in your favor.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
After he stopped answering my calls I was very close to just calling the police and telling them the situation and I wanted to report it stolen - but I decided against it because I didnt want to "cross that line" with this guy. He's super nice but just hella busy and backed up. He doesnt know when to say NO to a project.

My main concern now is that he is doing a piss poor job at everything.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Nice? Car salesman are the nicest people you'll ever meet too. Think about that. :)

He's busy, yes, but he undertook a project for you and he has an obligation to finish it or give up.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
how much to pay him?? is this some fly by night mechanic?? in my part of the world we get written estimates before ANY work is done on a car, and consent has to be made with the customer before any price increase. Did you not do this??

rust on the undercarriage has nothing to do with the oil pan or engine mounts. To do this properly he must yank the engine, and even rusted engine mount bolts won't take long to get around.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
v8only said:
how much to pay him?? is this some fly by night mechanic?? in my part of the world we get written estimates before ANY work is done on a car, and consent has to be made with the customer before any price increase. Did you not do this??

rust on the undercarriage has nothing to do with the oil pan or engine mounts. To do this properly he must yank the engine, and even rusted engine mount bolts won't take long to get around.
Your not very far off - this is just some "hole in the wall" garage/shop where he works on cars part time in addition to his full time job.

Yep - engine has been pulled numerous times now

He's been in the "family" for quite a while. He works on rebuilding engines mostly - he does most of the works on my father in-laws 11 second Nova

I just feel hes taken advantage of me and the relationship with my father in-law by putting my stuff on the back burner for so long

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I feel you. He probably does good honest work, but takes too long to do it.

I've got the same deal with a family owned upholstery shop local that my father and I bring our cars to. We know the guy personally now, and he gives us great deals, however, he takes FOREVER. When I brought my vert in, it took him over 2 months to get the top replaced.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where in turn I brought my vert to a normal upholstery shop and the top was replaced in 2 days.

Sometimes it doesnt pay when you do business with people you know??????????????

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I work on cars for a living. There is no way it should take that long. One thing I will never do is work on any buddies cars anymore. This goes both ways. I worked my ass off on two of my buddies cars. (one more than the other). All I got was a lot of headache and my car was late to be completed. When I needed a favor I had to get angry with the one before he helped me out. And the whole time they wanted to talk **** about my car. Well turns out I am making at least 300 more rwhp than either of them and needless to say they are probably still talking their talk and no longer my buddies. Good luck and I wish the best on this situation. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Stick a hot poker up his a$$

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
you let it go on 3 months???? damn...

Install new oil pan + rear main seal - 4-5 hours
Install Crossmember + new motor mounts - 30 minutes with engine jacked up and tranny out
Paint + Install - front bumper cover, 2 front 1/4 panels and a rear 1/4 panel. - one afternoon

3 months doesnt add up...the guy is lazy.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Get the car back and never use him again. 1 week is too long.

A guy I worked with had an old Trans Am and used one of these back yard guys to repaint it. A month went by and nothing was done, then he happened to see his car drive by full of people. The 'painter' was just using it for himself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wouldn't pay the guy a penny. You only pay for labor when the job is done correctly and you come out ahead of where you were before you took the car to the shop. He may have done "labor" replacing the rear main twice, but it's still in the same condition as it was when you brought the car to him (leaky). Go get your car, don't pay him a dime, and if he thinks he deserves any money he can prove it in court.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:

Plan on getting the car back tommorow. No body work has even been done to the car. He said his painter is waiting for the weather to cooperate (has a paint booth in his garage) and wants the humidity to go down. Well, it hasnt rained here for the past week and a half so I dont know what hes waiting for. I'm picking it up and all the parts and going someplace else.

I will pay him - not what he's asking at all. Because I want to drive my car for a while afterwards and see if any happens due to him working on the car. (i.e. leaks oil)

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
why don't you save the money and do the work yourself??? (except for the paint of course)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
you wanted the sweet deal and he told you he would do it in his spare time. it is very hard to work full time on cars in your own shop and have any time to do stuff on the side. You should either step up and go to a shop were you are a paying customer or do it your self.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
live and learn 2stangs69-61 - to late for that.

I saw the car tonight at his shop and he painted my new oil pan Ford Blue?!?!? Cant figure out why he did this????

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I asked him about the price for all this tonight and kinda avoided my question and just responde with "whatever you want to pay, I'll be happy. Its my fault its taking so long. I'll just be happy when its out the door"

so my question is, whats a fair amount to pay him. I would feel horrible if I stiffed him (even though a part of me wants to do that). because whenever I see him in there him in the shop and laying under my car busting his ass (for that slight moment in 3 months) trying to get my new pan in.

$100 - $150 ???????

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'd give him my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 27 Posts