Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.73 or 4.10?

What can I expect if I go with 4.10s?

My car is a '99 GT daily driver and I only race with those who challenge me on the road. That happens about once a month if that.

I am nervous since the Ford dealership is telling me that I wouldn't get any use out of 1st gear if I use 4.10's since it would be too low.

Any and all comments are a help. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 99 gt convert. I run 4:10 and it's great. The best thing i could of done! Good luck.

____________________________________________________99 gt convert, custom o/r x pipe, chip, 4:10 gears, drag raidials, 2 chamber flows, K&n air filter

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have 3:73's because I plan on getting a supercharger later on and 4:10's, I heard would be too much. I think 4:10 would be fine if you stayed N/A.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Don't tell me I'm going to beat RavenGT to this one!!! :)

Ed

·
Registered
193 Posts
Edward Clark said:
Don't tell me I'm going to beat RavenGT to this one!!! :)

Ed
Ha ha ha! True True.

Don't fear the gear! 4.10s are perfect. Just make sure you get some drag radials, or better yet, ET Streets!

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you do not have to deal with snow often and are not doing a lot of highway, the 4.10s are what you need.

I'm happy with my 3.73s but I have to drive the Stang in very bad weather sometimes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm also looking into the same bracket....I just bought a 2002 GT 5-speed and I'm looking to putting in gears...one of those two...a lot of you guys are saying 4.10's are good...but how is freeway driving? what's rpm like in 5th at 70mph or so? what top speed decrease would I be looking at?

Kevin

·
Registered
77 Posts
i dont know about gt's but my cobra has 4.10's in it and i drive it all year with no problem on the highway, rain, etc. i really want to go higher.... like 4.30's or something. i heard the gt's dont like a gear as high as the cobras. i dont know if there is any truth to that or not though, just something i heard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am still running 3.27s. I wish FMS made a 3.90 for the 8.8. It would put you around 2500 in 5th at 75.
Has anybody tried the Pro 5.0 gears. The one stang mech around here won't put anything else in besides FMS gear sets. He claims he's had nothing but trouble with others. Another mechanic claims a gear is a gear.
Anyway I want to put in a set of 3.90s

·
Registered
77 Posts
i Have always used fms gears. the only thing i have seen is some brands seem to whine more than others

·
Registered
636 Posts
GIDDE UP said:
I am nervous since the Ford dealership is telling me that I wouldn't get any use out of 1st gear if I use 4.10's since it would be too low.
:bs:

I have 4.10's in my daily driven 01GT, and I use 1st gear all the time. Pulls like a raped ape. Tell your Ford dealership not to be such wussies!

Highway driving is nice! 4th gear ends around 110mph, and 5th gear at 75 is spinning 2750 on the tach, using 26 inch tall tires.

Ed's right, don't fear the gear. The mod motors like it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sorry Guys...

Doing some math this morning on the way to work, if my target trap speed is 110 to 115 then I believe 3.90's are the perfect gear for a daily driver... I was leaning for 4.10's but based on what I hope to gain for my car, I think the Motive 3.90 solution is perfect.

And Joe...... BRING IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

I just dont want to be hitting the traps at 7300 rpm's sorry...

·
Registered
31 Posts
TBC,
Do you trust motive gear? Who is making Pro 5.0s? I've just heard horror stories of getting bad gear sets installed. Installs are expensive too, $300-200 for a $180 part.
I want it done right the first time. You should see my buddy squirm, his gears are going in next week, 02 GT, and he keeps changing his mind 3.73 one day 4.10 the next. I say 3.90!!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
rgnar said:
TBC,
Do you trust motive gear?
Dude... I hear you.... I call all the time down to DMP to see if they know if FRPP is going to go to 3.90's. I REALLY want to run Ford gears in my car because they are quite frankly a quality product with minimal headaches on setup. But right now Motive is the only choice on this gearset to the best of my knowledge... I STILL think it is the perfect gear for any car that is going to run a 110 to 115 trap speed and be streetable...

/flame suit on... Joe (aka RavenGT) BRINGIT!! :) )

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oh how I love reading the gear debates. I'm going to go ahead and put 4.30's in my '99. Puts me at 2800 rpm for 75 in 5th, but heck, you only live once :D.

I don't fear the gear. I fear the install.

·
Registered
155 Posts
4.10--mine go in next week--these cars need LOTS of gear--I wasted my money on 73's. The above post is correct about bad weather--if you live in northern michigan etc and plan to drive in the winter I wouldn't do it--otherwise go for it

·
Registered
313 Posts
4.10 all the way :)

I just went from 3.73 to 4.10.
I can fell a big difference it continues to pull hard in the higher gears.
At 80mph in 5th I am pulling 3k rpm's.
All I can see is you better get you some sticky tires and your neck checked out because it will pull like a mofo.
Love then and would not trade them in for anything.

Unless you drive some 50+ miles a day then go with 4.10's.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Go with the 4.10's:D

I've got them in my 98'GT and a friend just put them in his 00' GT and they both pull really hard:evil:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use 245/45/ZR17 Potenza RE730 tires all the way around. I think that they will be able to handle the gear. I live in NC where we don't get much snow so I think the gear and tire combo will work out.

Thanks all! I am surprised to not see one person say to go with 3.73's.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts