Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Vendor
17,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, we wanted to document a new build for Corral members. The car was shipped to us from Salleen to have a new 3V engine installed to replace the old 2V one. The build up has some minor challenges and we will document them as we go for Corral readers that may ever consider doing this.

Heres a pic of the car to get started (we will take some better shots of the car later):

The car is a 1 off prototype and is of the wide body variety, pretty trick with carbon fiber everywhere!

The old engine was a Sallen Supercharged 2V, it made good power but the new 3V Salleen Supercharged engine is promised to put out another 100HP.

The new engine is below, we have removed the timing cover so that we can install the MMR custom cam lockouts and timing exciter for the driver cam sprocket (this allows the 3v to work with the 2V computer)

The other issue we needed to address is the electric driven (fly by wire) Throttle body, this was quickly handled with one of the new MMR Manual Throttle body, bracket and cable kits, this allows you to take any 3v engine and convert it to a cable drive system! Below is the pic of the S/C and TB installed:

Next is pulling out the engine and getting started on the transplant- stay tuned, we will keep updating as we go, if anyone has questions fire away!

UPDATES 11/10/08

The engine has finally been assembled with the MMR Tru-Lock cam sprockets kit plates

Here is a look at the MMR Tru-lock kit swap kit which is required for 2V to 3V swaps:

We now have the engine buttoned up and dropped in, stay tuned as we add the MMR throttle cable kit and finich the swap!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
What will the strategy be for the electronics?
Will you keep the variable valve timing stuff etc?
Will a 3V into 2V swap become easy eventually?
Erich

·
Vendor
17,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are great questions,

For the electronics the main concerns were the TB, and driver cam sensor, otherwise the swaps into 96-04 will be fairly easy. The parts we mentioned are being manufactured now, the TB/Cable and bracket are already available, the Driver cam sprocket adapter will be ready in a few weeks for sale. As far as ECU strategy goes the 2V ecu's do not know how to control any of the variable cam timing so our lockout can be ordered with different levels of advance and retard, most of our customers we feel will like the full advance setting which gives peak HP but a nice slightly lopy idle with only slight loss of bottom end.

We will have everything in kit form soon to make these swaps easier than ever.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Cool. So with the advanced setting you really don't lose anything but like the factory idle that everyone seems to want to do away with anyway?

3Vs are going to become cheap and plentyful. Your kit will be excellent for swappers.

Keep us updated.
Erich

·
Vendor
17,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct and thank you, stay tuned, we will have some great update pics as we continue with the swap.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Any idea what year/number this car is?
Looks like a very interesting swap, glad to see a shop undertaking a 2v to 3v and posting results.

·
Vendor
17,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any idea what year/number this car is?
Looks like a very interesting swap, glad to see a shop undertaking a 2v to 3v and posting results.
supposedly this car is #1 but not sure of the exact year, we will post up with what we find on the serial# placard.

·
Formerly LSNotch
847 Posts
This is funny because in the last couple of days I've been thinking exactly of how to do this swap. My main issue I saw was the throttle and you got that figured out and as for the cams I know that comp cams built locks for the cams but do they serve the same purpose as the ones that you are planning to build? Do you know or anybody else here the differences between the explorer, mountaineer and mustang engine?
Thanks a lot for taking the time to share this project!

·
Registered
729 Posts
So...Why would Saleen contact you guys to do a swap that they could easily do? Not doubting anything, just wondering.

Chris

·
Vendor
17,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is funny because in the last couple of days I've been thinking exactly of how to do this swap. My main issue I saw was the throttle and you got that figured out and as for the cams I know that comp cams built locks for the cams but do they serve the same purpose as the ones that you are planning to build? Do you know or anybody else here the differences between the explorer, mountaineer and mustang engine?
Thanks a lot for taking the time to share this project!
Our pleasure, for the cams the Comp lockouts will not work for this swap, (because they are not true lock outs, they still allow for so many degrees of camshaft advance and retard that would still require ECU control) So they need to be fully locked in position. As far as the explorer, mountaineer, mustang engine what years are you reffering to?

·
Vendor
17,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So...Why would Saleen contact you guys to do a swap that they could easily do? Not doubting anything, just wondering.

Chris
We get contacted by companies like them and ford often for all types of projects and just for general info, the Saleen Custom dept is for all practical purposes non-existant now since the company was sold, this car was sitting there with the engine still requiring the swap, so we were contacted by Saleen and the new owner of the car to see if we would be interested in finishing the job for them. The head person in the custom dept @ Saleen was unsure of the swap because of the few challenges mentioned earier so the car was transported from them to our facility to finish it up.

·
Registered
311 Posts
To be completely honest it looks like a sn95(2) with a supra front end.

And logan motor sports has compeleted this task already, you may want to call them if you hit any kinks ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The other issue we needed to address is the electric driven (fly by wire) Throttle body, this was quickly handled with one of the new MMR Manual Throttle body, bracket and cable kits, this allows you to take any 3v engine and convert it to a cable drive system!
Does this kit work on S197s, or just SN95s? I ask because I really, really hate the FBW TB on my 08 GT.

·
Vendor
17,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
To be completely honest it looks like a sn95(2) with a supra front end.

And logan motor sports has compeleted this task already, you may want to call them if you hit any kinks ;)
Agreed about the Supra part! As far as the swap goes we have done quite a few, that is why Saleen sent us the car, but we appreciate you looking out!

·
Vendor
17,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does this kit work on S197s, or just SN95s? I ask because I really, really hate the FBW TB on my 08 GT.
The MMR Throttle body, bracket and cable kit are not recommended for factory ecu's because as of present it is not possible for the ECU to function correctly without the feedback that normally comes from the TB, this system is great however for swaps like this into a NON FBW and aftermarket ECU's such as fast and DFI

·
Registered
168 Posts
The MMR Throttle body, bracket and cable kit are not recommended for factory ecu's because as of present it is not possible for the ECU to function correctly without the feedback that normally comes from the TB, this system is great however for swaps like this into a NON FBW and aftermarket ECU's such as fast and DFI

Do you have any pictures of the throttle bracket? Will it work with the stock intake. I may like the looks of it better than the one I built.

·
Vendor
17,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, the MMR kit does work with the factory intake manifold also, we will post some pics of that kit here soon.

·
Formerly LSNotch
847 Posts
Our pleasure, for the cams the Comp lockouts will not work for this swap, (because they are not true lock outs, they still allow for so many degrees of camshaft advance and retard that would still require ECU control) So they need to be fully locked in position. As far as the explorer, mountaineer, mustang engine what years are you reffering to?
Thank you for your response! Well I'm refering to the late 4.6 3V engines,
05+??

1 - 20 of 94 Posts