Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 cobra and i see people on here that have 275 tires with cobra r's. When i put this size tire on my cobra with cobra r's about half the tire stuck out past the fender on the front. Can anyone give me a reason why some are able to put this size wheel on the front and i am not able to. Thanks any info would be appreaciated. I want to be able to rotate :(

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I have 275s on all 4 and the fronts stick out just a little but it is worth it to be able to rotate tires IMO. Do you have Ford Cobra Rs or replicas, are you sure your offset in the front is correct. If you compare the 30mm increase from the 245s and allow for half on the frontside and half on the back, the tire should only stick out 15mm (about 9/16") further. If you would like, I will try to find a picture to send you from the front. part of it depends on brand of tire you are running too, some are wider than others.

Where in TN are you?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Whoa. Half the tire. That should not be? Sure you are not exaggerating that? Maybe the backspacing is different with the type of Cobra R's you have? I have the R50's - there is a new model of Cobra R's that ford makes now the R58's. The backspacing is different - the original's R50's have a 5.95" backspacing and the R58's have a 5.98" backspacing. Of course I am not 100% on how much that makes a difference. Plus I have -1.5 camber using the MM caster camber plates. So that might make a difference too.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Unless you have the wrong offset wheels, your tire should not stick out past the fender. I had 275's on my '96 GT and I also have 275's at all four corners on my Cobra and they fit perfectly. The sidewalls are virtually flush with the edge of the fenders.

Just to clear something up, the R58's are the original '95 Cobra R wheels and the R50's are the new version.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was a little extreme about half the tire. But it was out so far that i knew it was not right. I have nittos with orginal cobra r's 17x9. tnturbo i am in Nashville. I would greatly appreaciate if u could send some pics. I want to be able to rotate my tires and i want to run 275 all around. Also i have the steeda stage one on my car could my offset be wrong or my caster chamber could be set wrong, i dont know if that could have something to do with it. My friend has a 97 cobra with 275 all around and his barely comes out. My were so bad i had to buy 245s for the front. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts