Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came across a set of GT500 6-piston front calipers and 15" rotors for sale locally and the price was so good I couldn't pass them up. When I went to pick them up I saw why they were such a good price. The fellow who was selling them had attempted to sand off the factory red and then spray painted them black. Unfortunately, the sanding job made the black spray paint job look even worse from all the scuff lines. So I decided to have the calipers powder coated School Bus Yellow to match the car. Because powder coating just the fronts would look terrible I picked up a set of rebuilt calipers and brackets to have the rears done too.

I sent the calipers to the powder coater fully assembled which is usually not ideal; however, since this is a track car and the powder coat is most likely going to burn off anyway I wasn't too concerned. Unfortunately their assembled state meant that the overspray on the boots and the baking process caused them to deform as the air trapped between the piston seal and the boot inflated from the heat during the curing process.

To remedy this I ordered a set of high-temperature boots and seals from Optimum Performance Mustang. I should have ordered seals for the rear calipers at the same time; however, ended up ordering them later from Rock Auto.

Since I was doing the front calipers and rotors I decided to upgrade to the 2013/14 GT500 rear rotors; however, I wasn't particularly interested in paying $160 for the Ford rear caliper mounts that would require me to remove the rear axles. So I picked up a the rear caliper adapters from "ncmustangparts" on E-bay for only slightly more than what a single Ford part (that is as of January 2020) back-ordered.

I also ordered three sets of Russel Speed Bleeders for the Brembos and rear calipers to make the whole installation and future brake bleeding chores much easier.

I had previously done the clutch reservoir installation, so I decided to also swap out the brake fluid reservoir for one from an automatic transmission Mustang. This will help ensure I'm not worried about the port on the side where the master cylinder feed hose has been capped off. I will ultimately be getting a set of track pads, but for now just some street pads will be going on the car. We hope to start installation on Friday when the various final parts come in.

High-Temperature Dust Boots and Seals - High Temperature 6 Piston Brembo Caliper Dust Boot Kit - 2013-2014 Shelby GT500 Brakes
Factory-Style Rear Dust Boots - More Information for CARLSON 41247
Speed Bleeders (Front Brembo 6-Piston and Factory Rear) - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014BBFVM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Caliper Mounts - 05-14 Mustang 14" Rear Brake Rotor Adapter Brackets GT Boss 302 GT500 V6 | eBay
Rear Rotors - 2013 FORD MUSTANG 5.8L V8 Supercharged Rotor | RockAuto

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Oh, snap, it's the Godfather! ;)

I might have to look into that first link, see how the GT500 piston sizes compare to the pistons in my CTS-V's Brembos. I smoked those seals long ago, it would be nice to replace them with higher temp ones.

·
Administrator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE:
So everything went on without a hitch. Installation was fairly simple for anyone who has ever replaced a caliper. I still managed to run into a spot of trouble. I had purchased a power brake bleeder kit from Harbor Fright (I believe this name is more applicable than their corporate moniker of Harbor "Freight") that included a refill bottle for the fluid reservoir. It's pretty simple, but I did not turn the drain lever on the bottle far enough, so it never filled the reservoir as I pumped the brakes during the bleed process.

This meant that I ran the fluid reservoir bone dry and managed to pump air into the ABS unit. So we had to re-bleed everything and start all over. This took care of about 80% of the soft pedal issue, but still did not quite give me the pedal feel I wanted. At the time I was thinking that the only remedy was going to be a dealer ABS bleed.

Then I remembered I had an ELM327-based OBDII adapter laying around that I had not used before. I downloaded a program called ForScan that is a must-have for any Mustang/Ford person. Combined with the ELM327 scanner, ForScan allows you factory/dealer level access to the various controllers and computers in the Mustang. One of those options is an ABS Service Bleed.

If you have not yet dabbled with ForScan, you need to get it now. It is an incredible program that will enable you to potentially unlock hidden features in your Mustang, perform dealer level diagnostics and service routines, and seriously brick your car if you're not careful. So do be careful with it.

So I connected the adapter, ran ForScan and did the ABS Service Bleed a couple of times. Then I re-bled the brakes and got the remainder of my pedal feel back. Unfortunately one of the complaints about this brake swap is that the pedal is a bit spongy. Apparently the trick is to use the GT350 Brembos and 2013/14 Rotors for a firmer pedal feel. I am awaiting a new set of stainless steel hoses to see if that helps some as well.

I also managed to completely roast the pads after about four or five laps, so the Power Stop Z23 Evolution Sport pads are fine for the street, they are NOT suitable for any kind of open track use.

A new set of pads are definitely in order and I will most likely be using something from G-Loc.

ELM327 Scanner - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F0GVBWY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ForScan - What's new
PowerStop Pads (Street use ONLY!) - More Information for POWER STOP Z231365
G-LOC Pads - http://www.g-locbrakes.com/

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Power Stop makes track day pads, cleverly called their Track Day compound. Looks like they do offer them in your pad shape (part # PST1365). As you'll see on Rock Auto, they're dirt cheap compared to other track pads out there. I've used the PST1405s on my CTS-V (same family of 6-piston Brembos) and have been quite happy with them. As inexpensive as they are, can't hurt to try them out - if you don't like them, you're not out much $$, but if you do like them, you're spending about 40% as much on track pads.

·
Administrator
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Power Stop makes track day pads, cleverly called their Track Day compound. Looks like they do offer them in your pad shape (part # PST1365). As you'll see on Rock Auto, they're dirt cheap compared to other track pads out there. I've used the PST1405s on my CTS-V (same family of 6-piston Brembos) and have been quite happy with them. As inexpensive as they are, can't hurt to try them out - if you don't like them, you're not out much $$, but if you do like them, you're spending about 40% as much on track pads.
For that price, I may try their track day pads. Unfortunately with the CORVID-19 scare that is going on right now, it looks like track days will be out of the question for a while. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts