Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, I messed up i bought a 4.6 from a 2008 ford f150 thinking it was going to be a 3v like my 07 GT. however as soon as i looked at the engine out of the bay when it was pulled I knew it wasn't a 3v. however I was wanting to know if there is still hope after all I'm assuming the block its self isn't much different from the 3v block apart from its and iron block. I've been searching for hours now and everything i find is talking about the old-school 2v's (Pre 2004) nothing about the F150's 2v. i found out the hard way that the 3v didn't start until 2009 for the F150's for whatever reason. Either way tomorrow i will be pulling the engine from my 07 GT because it has a bent rod and one of the cylinders has rust in the bore. (possibly can be fixed??) i think the rust is too much for getting it honed and would either have to be over bored or re-sleeved. I don't have that money however that's why i went straight to a running engine but whoops. p.s I'm in hawaii so im limited on my options for engines which is why i had to get one from an F150. Anything helps and if you have pictures to show me that would be amazing.

·
Registered
485 Posts
F-150's went 3V in 05. They however didn't have a V6 option, except in the Heritage series, so the 2V 4.6 was the base engine. If the heads are fine, just use the 2V block as your base, and swap everything else over. The iron block vs. aluminum though will make the front heavy, so as long as you take that into consideration, it should work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
F-150's went 3V in 05. They however didn't have a V6 option, except in the Heritage series, so the 2V 4.6 was the base engine. If the heads are fine, just use the 2V block as your base, and swap everything else over. The iron block vs. aluminum though will make the front heavy, so as long as you take that into consideration, it should work.
So you don't think the 3v heads will have any issue with the 2v pistons? Or compression being different?
Those are two of my biggest concerns with it

·
Registered
485 Posts
I know the PI heads were 40-something cc's if I remember correctly. A quick google search shows the 3Vs had 51cc chambers. So you'll loose compression. Nothing that can't be resolved with a set of pistons with a different dish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts