Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 FORD MUSTANG V6 PREMIUM Automatic. The car has no mods done to it. Recently I have been having some problems. Nothing shows up on Diagnostic Code Reader. While driving the car at times (once a week) the rpm is real high. 2.5k at 60 mph and 3.6k at 75 mph. I have to pullover and restart my car and it runs at 2k at 60 mph and 2.5k at 75 mph (same as every other day).
Q1) What is the normal speed to rpm values for an automatic V6 (2006).:hammer:
Q2) Any ideas what might be causing this?:livid:

I already took it to ford dealer, they see nothing on code reader, they replaced my throttle head, they tuned it but i still face the issue every now and then.
Also sometimes the pickup at low speeds (between 20-40 mph) is horrible. Even honda civic runs faster.:shakehead

· Registered
797 Posts
since its an automatic, maybe your transmission is slipping, or the converter wont lock, check the transmission fluid level when the car is running

· Registered
789 Posts
Need a little more info on the car, like, what gears are in the rear end? You may have 410's or even 430's, which would cause higher rpms at highway speeds. Normally at 70 with an auto, you should be around 2300 rpms.
If you're not getting into overdrive, you'd be experiencing it as well.
Is the overdrive light on in the instrument cluster? There's a push button switch on the side of the shifter, that disables overdrive.

Mainly find out if your going into all 4 gears and then into overdrive. If you're not sure, manually shift through the gears, and then after in 4th (drive), you will still get a shift when it gets into overdrive.

..and checking the fluid is a pita..since there's no dipstick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.