Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the thread on the new mustang chassis was wiped.
Motor Trend Feb 2003 has an article on the showcar, and how it was built by hand. One photo shows it without wheels, and it looks like it has a tall spindle and an upper ball joint.
Hopefully the production car gets double a-arms too.

·
Registered
453 Posts
MM&FF, March 2003, p 20:
"The new Mustang is scheduled to be going into production in the spring of 2004 as an '05 model and will be constructoed on a verion of the Lincoln LS chassis with assembly done at the Ford plant in Flat Rock, Michigan."

That's the first remotely tangible thing I've read about the new suspension.

·
Registered
322 Posts
INTP, that's the same thing that I heard. '05 Mustangs are supposed to have the same suspension of a Lincoln LS.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Sounds like it'll be a cheaper version of the DEW98 chassis used by the LS and the TBird.
I've driven the Lincoln and I hope the Stang will feel just as good.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why can't it be like a BMW M3???

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
INTP said:
+ dealer added "market premium" $1000 - $5000
+ 1 or more year wait list.
Gee, it sounds like BMW is doing something right, doesn't it. A real road car, what a concept!

It now takes us a to buy a Saleen,Steeda, Roush and it still is not equal to a M3.....

Doug

·
Registered
128 Posts
doug97gt said:
Why can't it be like a BMW M3???

if you want a car "like" a BMW... buy a BMW

pony cars (camaro and mustang) have alway been pony cars - and they've NEVER had BMW handling.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Turbonotch said:
if you want a car "like" a BMW... buy a BMW

pony cars (camaro and mustang) have alway been pony cars - and they've NEVER had BMW handling.
You are right about that (never having BMW handling). BTW, what is your definition of a pony car? My definition is a car produced for the masses w/nice looks that portray performance but doesn't necessarily deliver it. (i.e. sheep in wolf's clothing). That is why we as a collective buy all these mods. And yes I am seriously considering buying a BMW for my next project.:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
The ACTUAL definition of pony car is a entry level sports car that offer the most "bang for the buck" available in the market. It is a budget oriented alternative to mundane daily transportation.

Pony cars are typically based on a fairly plain chassis with the design focus being placed on light weight, strong power, and a sporty look. The compromises present are designed in such a way that they can be easily improved by the aftermarket - and thus are design to have "all the parts added on"

The fairly crude chassis is mildly tuned. It is "sporty" but still retains a solid rear axle. It is capable enough that the majority of it's drivers will never reach it's limits on the street (the same can be said for just about any car), but it's real draw is the exhilirating inline performance.

These cars were never designed to have world class handling but can acheive (and surpass) the handling of a BMW on a race coarse with properly chosen upgrades. They will always fall behind on street handling because the rough surfaces wreak havoc on the solid rear axle.

The advantage of a "pony car" is that for the entry level price you get a hell of alot of car... you can modify it to suit your tastes, be they handling or drag racing, for cheap. If you TRULY do alot of open track work - BMW maintenance parts will really hurt your wallet... not to mention the fact you run the risk of totalling the car in such events.

BMW's are a great car - but bring your wallet. I've been involved in both routes and I prefer the pony car stuff because it keeps it a fun hobby that doesn't "OWN" me financially.

IF I were concerned about luxury or how my car affected other peoples opinion of me - then I would own a BMW now - but I don't.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Keep in mind that BMW sells a lot of 4 cylinder cars in europe. Here, you can find that in the mini cooper. Similar in price to the mustang, too. But no matter how much money you thow at it, it's design won't really support fast 1/4 mile times. It will never compete with a mustang as a drag racer.

It comes down to marketing. If Ford thought it would make a lot of money selling mass production road race cars, then I'm sure they could/would do it. Most people need something to get them around town reliably. Those who choose mustangs probably want to do it with a sporty style. Maybe bmw owners want to demonstrate their social status. These are just things that each mfg. uses to differentiate their product, which is really just a transportation machine.

I personally think that bmw makes some really nice vehicles, and considered getting one before I decided on the mustang. But I couldn't justify the cost. I'm quite happy not to have a car payment, and that I can get performance parts that are downright CHEAP compared to the bmw parts. (e.g. camshafts are typically 400-500 US$)

For those who want a real sports car with ford logos, then the GT40 sounds like your thing.

Having said that, I hope that the new mustang is much better handling. I hope that ford sells the sh$t out of it and is able to keep employing those who work hard to make it. I hope the people who buy them really have fun driving them, and have enough money left over to do other things that are important to them. And I hope that those of us who enjoy modifying our cars find that they can still do so affordably and with even better results.

Amen.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Beleve it or not guys, there is more to the car world than the 1/4 mile. And if it wasnt' for the 03 Cobra, 95 % of the Mustangs don't even fit in that category. As far as road courses , well it is evident even you know the deficiencies of the Mustang. All I want is a car that is comparable to BMW from an American carmaker. I am adding mods to my Mustang, as you can see from my sig but it sure would be nice to have a car that was designed to be a contender from the start.

Your turn.

Doug

·
Registered
336 Posts
Turbonotch said:
The ACTUAL definition of pony car is a entry level sports car that offer the most "bang for the buck" available in the market.

Yeah right, does that include all the V-6 autos w/single exhaust. Which is the majority of all Mustangs sold. That sure is one hell of a sports car.
In fact Turbo, the term ponycar has been around since the mid 60's. This was coined by the media to signify the popularity of Mustangs, Camaros, Barracudas, Javelins, AMX's. The most popular Mustang was the inline 6 w/3 speed transmission.
Which hardly fits the definition of a "sports car".

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Originally posted by doug97gt Beleve it or not guys, there is more to the car world than the 1/4 mile. And if it wasnt' for the 03 Cobra, 95 % of the Mustangs don't even fit in that category...
are you saying the '03 cobra is a drag car? if you are, then you don't know much about drag racing! allow me to point out the obvious: Independent Rear Suspension SUCKS for drag racing! that's why many cobra owners are swapping it out for a solid axle... now, help me out on this - what donor car do you use if you want to do a simple bolt-in swap to change your M3 to a live axle? of course, there isn't one. as stated in a post above, the mustang can be modified for a VARIETY of purposes. so what if 1/2 or 2/3 of them (95%? LOL) aren't manually-shifted V8's - there are still WAY more GT's and cobra's around than M3's. as stated in a post above, PONY=BANG/BUCK, and some of us actually have to live on a middle-class income. besides that, the large numbers of 4-banger & V6 'stangs just means that i can pick up a stripped chassis for $100, and build a REAL race car! for the price of an M3, i bet i could build THREE mustangs - one for OT, one for drag, and one for auto-x & daily driving.

Originally posted by doug97gt All I want is a car that is comparable to BMW from an American carmaker. I am adding mods to my Mustang, as you can see from my sig but it sure would be nice to have a car that was designed to be a contender from the start.
ever heard of a corvette? sure, it's a lot different than a BMW - but if you want a fast car, why not get one that looks good too? but even the 'vette isn't good at drag racing, nor can it be easily or cheaply modified for that purpose - leaving the mustang and it's arch-rival F-bodies as the only recent "pony cars" i know of. they handle and accelerate good enough for us "commoners" to have a little fun, and the true enthusiast can modify the car to perform really well - and STILL be easier on the wallet than pretty much anything else. sounds perfect to me!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW - the original topic has gone seriously askew - let's get back to it: who has tech info on the new mustang chassis?

since it's based on the lincoln, who knows about those? has anyone seen one on a track, or a lift? :confused:

·
Registered
336 Posts
blu93gt,

Well, what is a 03 Cobra known for except its hp and how fast it will do in a 1/4. Is it known for it's road handling capabilities? I don't think so.
" i bet i could build THREE mustangs - one for OT, one for drag, and one for auto-x & daily driving."

Sure you could and not any of them would have the quality of a BMW.

"some of us actually have to live on a middle-class income.""
Not worthy of commenting on.

Corvette, sure I have heard of it. I believe it is made by GM.
Name a Ford equivalent. ;)

All I am saying is, I wish Ford would build a true sports car. But everyone gets there shorts twisted up when a legitimate criticism of blue oval occurs. Give me a break. You guys sound like Camaro owners.......:eek:

doug

1 - 20 of 47 Posts