Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this past sept 2019 a 04 gt convert with auto trans : ( was the only ask from my wife, .
he had added quite a bit for my knowledge anyhow. In the past 14 yrs he has added : accufab 70mm throttlebody and plenom, then C & L trueflow inlet pipe and filter system. A few yrs later he added a complete bullet/mach 1 brake conversion brake kit with.rear powdercoated calipers and pony calipers on the front. He then added an magnafloe catbat 15671 and then next summer a magnaflow 15480 catted x pipe.
3 years later he added 8.8 rear end with 373 gears all installed at his local Ford dealer..
and lastly 3 yrs ago he added sct x3 power flasher.
please tell me what I have and aprox horsepower.
thank you ob

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Nah, closer to 230-240. None of what he did added any power. If the tune was good it might have added some PERFORMANCE.

Power will be right around stock. Braking is better. A car as old as this one needs a full suspension overhaul before anything.

·
Registered
220 Posts
would mostly agree, not much increase in hp. The 3:73's will make it a bit quicker to 100 mph but with the intake and exhaust mods maybe gained 15hp....only real way to gain big chunks of hp on the 2v is boost or trick flow heads. Most will tend towards the boost. good luck. I also agree with suspension upgrade/replacment. i'm going through mine before i mess with the power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hello attached is the invoice of the suspension work he had done.of course that was Canadian funds and back in 2014.

i have just bought new rims and tires , black gloss Saleen replicas(american Muscle)
Falken AZCENAS 275/35 R18 FRONT 9 AND 287/35 R18 10 REARS
does all this now help?
Thank you for all of your input and advice, I appreciate it. I am not wanting to be a racer or .... just a nice car that goes if a young guy thinks hes all that in his rice car or..
I am now 56 but not dead. and do need the advice on what to do next that isn't hugely expensive. my Alberta Licence plate " BADBOIZ"
I thank you all in advance for all of your input
Thanks,
Rob
unlimited 1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Boost it. that's what I'm doing. I bought a 04 gt vert last fall. Found a 2nd hand kenne bell. I'm in Winnipeg, and 53 years old, so were pretty much I the same boat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hello,well before I tackle that i need to get it over to the Ford dealership that I work at and have the guys look it over.( the guys at work aren"t car guys, soi am looking here for upgrade advice)
I also bought mine last sept long weekend. It only has 84333 kms on it and body and interior, is in almost perfect condition. it was always garaged and covered on top of that and now it still is.he needed garage space and his new wife wanted it gone. He was at $9900.
needed tires and a service. i offered $7500 and ended up at $7900 Canadian.. for the condition and fact I have every receipt and original parts ( the factory intake is so clean I can eat out of it. he he) I am happy with the purchase, now I slowly add on.the black gloss Saleens 275/35R 18 285/35 R18 Falken azenis arrived fri and they go on once the snow goes away.
i look forward to driving and upgrading it , and to any input you all can give.
Rob

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sounds like a beautiful car. one of the upgrades ill be doing is full length subframe connectors, and reinforcing the torque boxes.

And for the motor, if you want any real gain in hp. Boost is your only option (other than a motor swap).

I'm looking forward to pictures and where you take your new toy.

Mines in storage , and will be heading to the paint shop shortly. the used Kenny bell is a 2.6, so suddenly I find out it wont fit under the factory hood. so, I picked up a Cervinis terminator hood to make room for the blower. I think a drug addiction might be cheaper, lol.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
All that shop did it looks like is install fresh oem spec stuff. It'll all have to be replaced with much better stuff if you want the car to handle or hook up worth a damn. And yes you will need to boost it as others have said.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rob, the upgrades you seem to be asking about are power-related. Your brakes are pretty good, and your suspension is "ok". SilverSmith has been around the block a few times, i think his power guess is probably very close at 230-240. I also have a 2004 GT convertible, with a few more add-ons: LT headers, high-flow cats, X-pipe, 75mm throttle body and plenum, 91 octane tune (diablosport), T-56 manual... and on the dyno last year the best pull was 259/319. That's probably all the "easy" power you can get (although installing the LT headers wasn't exactly "easy"), and it also improved my fuel economy. Like the other fellas said, the most efficient path to power is forced induction, but installing a supercharger or turbo system is a fairly big project. So, are you going to do the work yourself, or contract it out?
I have also upgraded my front suspension/steering to a full MM coilover and k-member, bump steer and castor/camber plates, and MM lower control arms in the rear. Bilsteins all around. It's nice to be able to adjust ride height to whatever looks and handles best for you. The MM upgrade transformed the car, i don't use the brakes near as much on corners! I also installed MM full-length subframe connectors (just don't look at my welding), and was pleased with them. Tires are also a big contributor to handling. I had Bridgestone Potenza S4's, and they handled great, but followed ruts in the road pretty badly, and wore quickly. I then used Michelin Pilot Sport 3+, which didn't handle as well as the Bridgestones, but also didn't follow road ruts near as much and again wore pretty quickly. I now have Micheling Pilot Sport 4S, and they're better than the 3S.
There are more mods for these cars than for any other cars. If you're able to turn wrenches and figure things out, you'll have years of satisfaction ahead. Good luck, post updates and photos, dude!

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Rob, the upgrades you seem to be asking about are power-related. Your brakes are pretty good, and your suspension is "ok". SilverSmith has been around the block a few times, i think his power guess is probably very close at 230-240. I also have a 2004 GT convertible, with a few more add-ons: LT headers, high-flow cats, X-pipe, 75mm throttle body and plenum, 91 octane tune (diablosport), T-56 manual... and on the dyno last year the best pull was 259/319. That's probably all the "easy" power you can get (although installing the LT headers wasn't exactly "easy"), and it also improved my fuel economy. Like the other fellas said, the most efficient path to power is forced induction, but installing a supercharger or turbo system is a fairly big project. So, are you going to do the work yourself, or contract it out?
I have also upgraded my front suspension/steering to a full MM coilover and k-member, bump steer and castor/camber plates, and MM lower control arms in the rear. Bilsteins all around. It's nice to be able to adjust ride height to whatever looks and handles best for you. The MM upgrade transformed the car, i don't use the brakes near as much on corners! I also installed MM full-length subframe connectors (just don't look at my welding), and was pleased with them. Tires are also a big contributor to handling. I had Bridgestone Potenza S4's, and they handled great, but followed ruts in the road pretty badly, and wore quickly. I then used Michelin Pilot Sport 3+, which didn't handle as well as the Bridgestones, but also didn't follow road ruts near as much and again wore pretty quickly. I now have Micheling Pilot Sport 4S, and they're better than the 3S.
There are more mods for these cars than for any other cars. If you're able to turn wrenches and figure things out, you'll have years of satisfaction ahead. Good luck, post updates and photos, dude!
Yep. In the middle of doing the same with my front end with the MM K and everything else. Did you use the forward offset A arms or the regular? Any fitment issues? I just got the K and just need to buy the A arms and a few other odds and ends and get going on the install. Longtubes as well while I'm at it. If the K is out no reason not to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Kmax, : )
well today 3 out of my 4 wheels showed up today from AM , I did get the staggered black gloss Saleen, 275/35/r18 falken510s 285/35 r18 rears. they say 3 today 1 tomorrow per UPS.
All I can say is wow those are bigggg and thats only looking at the 275 for the fronts, The rears look good, i knew even 295 would be ok... was I ok to go the 275/35 for the fronts?
keep in mind i'm not a street or track guy (yet anyhow), Am build these things as a package wether they were Falkens,nittos or?? they look huge, i am mainly going to drive on highway and city,
or am i just a worry wart. will I have trouble with these, i guess i should of paid more and gone with the 265s?
they look awesome , just huge...
will i need to change anything on my car?
Rob

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Those should fit fine as long as the front rims are 18x9. Back should be 18x10. I run 18x9 on all 4 corners with 275/35/18 tires and 0 issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AM had an awesome deal for the staggered combo vs same all 4 corners, and swear they fit 04 GTs.
My brother has a 2000 gt coupe with 950 to the rear wheels and he just said he went to 255 as he couldnt steer with 275, but he is nuts. he is a all or nothing guy, lives 300km away and i usually don't ask him. i just got into fixing up my stang and want to have fun not go crazy like him he has 80g's canadian into it & 3 motors into it.
so I ask you guys, what do you guys think I should do next, headers next , short or long/ and ....?
Thanks again for all of your input,
Rob

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Shorties are worthless on these cars. They literally do nothing except break or rust. The stock cast iron manifolds are not restrictive like the 95-down crimped headers were and will never rust. Longtubes can get real pricey real fast and the best way to do them is to drop the K member unless you love skinned knuckles and a miserable weekend under the car swearing and contorting yourself. Get a good mid pipe and catback and roll with that if you don't already and work on actually upgrading the suspension. A legit tune too. When I say legit I mean not AM, like a GOOD tuner that actually tunes.

Also the AM wheels have a very thin clear coat, do NOT use any sort of wheel cleaner on them. Car wash or dish detergent only. I usually use Dawn on my rims and blow out the lug holes with compressed air after I'm done and I don't have AM rims (I have had them in the past). Even good rims will get eaten up by rim cleaner.

Honestly staggered isn't going to handle well so you might as well do the drag look. My 98 was setup for straight line and I had 18x10 in the back and 18x8 up front. BFG tires run fat so I had a 235/45/18 up front and a 275/35/18 out back. Back tires bulged a little over the rim lip, fronts were 100% flush. Was perfect looking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
your car looks awesome.
so , staggered isn't a good for a weekend highway trip driving car? i was also now thinking of getting 265 for the fronts if the 275s are to hard to drive with and maybe put 275 on the rears.
For show off sundays or car rallies i can put on the 185sx 10. Will that improve my driving or its the staggered part that makes it hard to handle? i was told guys run 275 front and 285 or 295 back and have no isssues.. but i also heard 275 too big for the fronts. I am confused. Sorry for all the questions. my mechanis have no input they only like stock set ups...
where abouts are you situated? I am in Edmonton Oilers country( if you follow hockey edm alberta)

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
No, staggered is fine for a street car or driving but I'm just saying if you are planning on corner carving its not the best. Just cruising for sure, a lot ton of ppl have staggered wheels. And that car I sold I think in 2015... That's one I sometimes kick myself for selling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts