Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2003 Mach 1 from a guy off Facebook with a locked up engine. I got it with the intention of building an engine for it and adding a 76 turbo to it. This will be my first all out build. However I am not looking to build an all out drag car just a quick street car shooting for 700+. I will be building the engine and everything else myself. I have been collecting parts over the last year.
Here is a pic of the Mach after picking it up in Missouri.

Here is a parts list
ENGINE
98 Teksid block honed with torque plates
6CC Wiseco Pistons with skirt coatings
Wiseco GNX Rings
Manley H beams with ARP 2000 bolts
Boundry Billet OPG
Billet timing guides with new inserts
Upgraded Tensioners
Upgraded Dowel Pins
ARP Everything
King Bearings

HEADS
Going a different route here since a buddy had a set of ported B heads.
Ported B Heads
96-98 Cobra Cams
Pac Valve Springs
Chromemoly retainers
Manley SS Valves
Fresh valve job, with new guides, seals etc.

More info to come. Here is a pic of the Mach at home next to my FBO Vortech 02 Vert.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After gathering all the parts to build the short block I went over to a friends place who had the jig for the Cobra Engineering dowel pin upgrade. The jig is pretty sweet and makes it pretty simple. After lining up the jig we marked the drill bit as deep as we wanted to go and drilled it out. For reference on the size difference in these pins here is a pic.

After drilling holes went on to filing the rings down. After talking to a bunch of local guys and Jordan over at Modular Head Shop I decided to go 19 on the top 25 on the bottom and left the oil rings at 10. With the Wiseco GNX rings I had to go 25 on all of them as they were at a minimum of 23 from the package.

It took me about 2-3 hours to file all my rings to where I wanted filing them by hand.

After getting all the rings where I wanted I put the King XP Bearings in. They seemed like a solid bearing and have heard of people having great luck with them. I got mine from Modmax Racing, they had the best price and their customer service is top notch. From reading my Shaun Highland book main bearing clearances are .002".

I had my crank, rods, pistons and flywheel all balances at my local machine shop. I got my crank off Corral from a member on here and had it polished as well. Everything came out really nice and I am getting pumped to put it together. All my clearances are right where they should be. I used my TTY bolts to check all of my clearances and afterwards installed my ARP main studs.

That's all for now any input or questions please let me know. I am always interested in learning and hearing how others have done something.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Looks good and parts look good. Ida gone with stock 03-05 heads over ported Bs but that's me. Remember you'll need the 96-98 cobra throttle setup for the 96-98 intake.

Also don't forget the Cobra Engineering passenger head tensioner mod. For a huge power build having fluctuating timing even a little on one side is bad.

Cobra Engineering LLC

What are you doing for trans and suspension? 04 Mach automatic setup with a beefed up 4R and a built SRA? The 03/04 Mach automatic computers actually have faster processors than any 04-down car and can keep up with shifts when the car gets into the 9s.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up on the throttle cable I forgot they are different and on the other side of the throttle body. The reason I went with the B heads was they were a deal I couldn't pass up and I wanted to be different.
As far as the transmission I am going with a T56 that has been beefed up a bit from a friend's Cobra. Plan on building up the SRA and am going with 355 gears. Anybody have any thoughts on those gears? I figure it will be enough to keep it from being a dog out of boost. I plan on getting all of my Suspension second hand to save on some money.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More work done in the last couple of weeks. Short block is all together. Everything went pretty smooth. I was using that ####ty ratchet style ring compressor but was having issues with it. I ended up buy the ARP version and made things much easier. I was told that the Manley logo would always face the front of the engine which ended up not being the case. Having them all face the same direction ended up throwing my bearings out of wack. After calling and talking to Manley on the phone they pointed me in the right direction.
Here is a pic of everything assembled and torqued down. On the mains I have 2-3 threads of the stud of length out of the nut.

Here is a close up shots.

I have read some post on this forum and others about pistons being put in upside down or what have you. Not for sure on how that would happen. Pic of the tops of the pistons. Also need a new heater pipe does anyone have an idea of what years will work?

This is how she sits. Was going to pick out some head gaskets was thinking about the Fel Pro ones any suggestions? Excited to put these heads on and pretty nervous for the cam degreeing process.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
For the heater pipe you'll want a 99/01/Mach style one. I think the Termi one works too and is the same? You can also rig a 96-98 one into place but its not hardline the whole way, it stops short of the nipple and then uses a rubber hose to connect.

You can ALSO use a Continental one which I did because mine came with one. It puts the output on the other head and I had to make my own "custom" hose to the heater core with some spare hoses and a 90 degree brass fitting. I got it for free so why not? Works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a buddy here in kansas city that just bought a 03 cobra headed teksid motor. The intake manifold and upgraded throttle body, have the cobra snake on top. Is this what you are looking to buy? Does it fit B and C heads?

Anyway, as of today, he has a mmr oil pan with pickup tube and windage tray fits a mustang 03 cobra is what it was in I THINK.

He has the bigger t body and cobra 98 ish? timing cover, and just a bunch of other stuff that does NOT fit a mercury marauder.

If you think you might be interested in some of this stuff, text me and ill get you guys met up, he also has a new black powder coated alternator(not pwm for marauders) and basically all the stuff off the long block.

My cell is 573-286-1699 feel free to text me if your interested.
Then ill forward your # to him.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
The 96-98 and 99/01 Cobra intakes both had the snake on top. And no they are not interchangeable. So if he has 03-05 heads then it won't fit Bs. 96-98 intake or a 97/98 Mark VIII intake (good cheap intake plus no having to find stupid $$$ Cobra throttle cable) or the retarded expensive sheetmetal intakes.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
And I'm very super interested in this build for sure. There are a metric ####load of B heads out there and they are basically free. I had 3 sets of F6 heads I couldn't give away... Wound up scrapping them. 99-02 "unrevised" C heads are also a great bang for the buck at like $150 for a good set from a yard out of a Continental with valve covers and cams.

But... turbo and B heads... hopefully auto (forget if it was mentioned) should make for a ridiculously fast ride. And yeah it is different and the 96-98 Cobra intake is probably the best looking intake for these cars period. Not even close. My mach intake looks like ass in comparison IMO but at least its functional lol.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a buddy here in kansas city that just bought a 03 cobra headed teksid motor. The intake manifold and upgraded throttle body, have the cobra snake on top. Is this what you are looking to buy? Does it fit B and C heads?

Anyway, as of today, he has a mmr oil pan with pickup tube and windage tray fits a mustang 03 cobra is what it was in I THINK.

He has the bigger t body and cobra 98 ish? timing cover, and just a bunch of other stuff that does NOT fit a mercury marauder.

If you think you might be interested in some of this stuff, text me and ill get you guys met up, he also has a new black powder coated alternator(not pwm for marauders) and basically all the stuff off the long block.

My cell is 573-286-1699 feel free to text me if your interested.
Then ill forward your # to him.
Thanks
Thanks man, but I already have most of the parts I will be using for the build.

And I'm very super interested in this build for sure. There are a metric ####load of B heads out there and they are basically free. I had 3 sets of F6 heads I couldn't give away... Wound up scrapping them. 99-02 "unrevised" C heads are also a great bang for the buck at like $150 for a good set from a yard out of a Continental with valve covers and cams.

But... turbo and B heads... hopefully auto (forget if it was mentioned) should make for a ridiculously fast ride. And yeah it is different and the 96-98 Cobra intake is probably the best looking intake for these cars period. Not even close. My mach intake looks like ass in comparison IMO but at least its functional lol.
Ya Kinda the reason I was going with the B heads. I got them with the 96-98 intake, cams and an extra set of 96-98 cams. The heads were already ported by a shop in Texas. I was told they were good to go but ended up taking them in and having a fresh valve job, Manley SS valves, Pac stage 2 springs, Chrome moly retainers, new seals, guides etc.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Thanks man, but I already have most of the parts I will be using for the build.

Ya Kinda the reason I was going with the B heads. I got them with the 96-98 intake, cams and an extra set of 96-98 cams. The heads were already ported by a shop in Texas. I was told they were good to go but ended up taking them in and having a fresh valve job, Manley SS valves, Pac stage 2 springs, Chrome moly retainers, new seals, guides etc.
Yeah once these big 4V heads come off you need to at least get them checked. Thing should haul ass. And in hindsight, I really should have gotten the last few of the B upper to C lower adapters for sale on SVTP... best of all worlds.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been busy getting things done. Got the rear pulled and was in a big hurry and didn't get any pics. But, I am having my cousin go through it. He works at Quick Performance and does it for a living and is giving me the hook up. Plan is 31 spline axles and 355 gears. While I had the rear out also cleaned it up and painted it black. Also dropped the tank and all the rear suspension. Stuff came out almost too easy. After, having the car in the air and looking at the underside my OCD kicked in. I decided it was too dirty to leave with all the gravel dust and grime that had build up over it's life.

I got to work on that and spent the better part of a weekend tackling the job. It was ####ty work but I think it turned out pretty damn good. While I was under there I also pulled the tranny. The guy who had the car before me did me a couple of favors. He left the most difficult starter bolt out and the top two tranny bolts.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Holy ####... you could eat off that...

Yay for starter... top 2 trans bolts... eh... no... Those bolts are cake to get to anyway, lean the engine back as far as it will go, reach up in there with a 1/2" universal on a deepwell socket attached to like 4 feet of extensions and have a helper turn the ratchet/breaker bar.

Automagic or stick? For a B headed turbo... hopefully auto... I see it is currently a manual tho.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holy ####... you could eat off that...

Yay for starter... top 2 trans bolts... eh... no... Those bolts are cake to get to anyway, lean the engine back as far as it will go, reach up in there with a 1/2" universal on a deepwell socket attached to like 4 feet of extensions and have a helper turn the ratchet/breaker bar.

Automagic or stick? For a B headed turbo... hopefully auto... I see it is currently a manual tho.
Thanks man. It looks great and was well worth the effort.
Ya I couldn't believe it on the trans bolts. I also just pulled the clutch which was fubar and there was only 7 flywheel bolts. I am also guessing the engine is not factory or someone pulled it and painted blue.. and really ####ty.
I am gonna keep it as a manual. Picked up a somewhat built T56 off my buddy with a Cobra. I know the auto would be a huge upgrade as far as performance but I wanted to try the manual for now.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Just remember the Terminator T56 is close ratio so the first gear is pretty damn deep. I think its 2.66. So 2.66 plus 3.55 will be a turd out of boost especially with B heads. But you'll be able to load up the turbos like a mofo I suppose. I dunno. Wide ratio is 2.97 so not a ton better, why a lot of ppl just put a built 3650 in there with the 3.37 first gear I guess.

But yeah as far as the FUBAR stuff... I found some GLORIOUS stuff with my low mileage 2000 I just 4V swapped. Asshats who had it were so bad that they blew up the original 34k engine and then were dumb enough to get a Jasper replacement and proceeded to grenade that engine so fast the paint marks on the internals were still there... Cliff's notes... ppl are dip####s.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just remember the Terminator T56 is close ratio so the first gear is pretty damn deep. I think its 2.66. So 2.66 plus 3.55 will be a turd out of boost especially with B heads. But you'll be able to load up the turbos like a mofo I suppose. I dunno. Wide ratio is 2.97 so not a ton better, why a lot of ppl just put a built 3650 in there with the 3.37 first gear I guess.

But yeah as far as the FUBAR stuff... I found some GLORIOUS stuff with my low mileage 2000 I just 4V swapped. Asshats who had it were so bad that they blew up the original 34k engine and then were dumb enough to get a Jasper replacement and proceeded to grenade that engine so fast the paint marks on the internals were still there... Cliff's notes... ppl are dip####s.
Gotta love people. I have seen some crazy things. I hardly think it will be a turd out of boost but we will see.

This is an awesome build, bro. Can't wait to see it finished!
Thanks working very hard on it and have been saving for over two years to get this far. Was originally gonna put all this on my blower car... 2002 GT. But, found this and couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
I meant "turd" relatively to what it could be with like... a stalled auto or a Pro Force Performance 3650... Bad choice of words on my part.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I meant "turd" relatively to what it could be with like... a stalled auto or a Pro Force Performance 3650... Bad choice of words on my part.
I get what you are saying. A stalled auto maybe in my future but for right now this is what I am going with.

I ended up getting the heads on. Went with the FELPRO MLS gaskets from Rockauto. Also, went with ARP head studs. I found that having 4 1/2" of stud exposed would leave about 2 threads above the nut when torqued. As I said earlier I will be using ported B heads, with Manley SS valves, Pac stage 2 springs, chromemoly retainers and 96-98 Cobra cams.
A little info on the springs:
The MHS / PAC Stage 2 4V Springs are a drop in upgrade capable of handling up to .500" Valve Lift. Perfect for our .480" Lobe 4V Camshafts. These springs will fit the stock retainers and stock valve seals. We also have 4130 Chrome Moly and Titanium Retainers available for these springs. We use these springs in most of our 4V Cylinder Head Packages and they have proved to be able up to handle 28-30lbs of boost. Manufactured by PAC Racing right here in the USA!

A couple of pics of the heads before install

Head studs installed

1 - 20 of 32 Posts