Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing a swap pretty soon in my 01 bullitt and wanted to know which was the better engine to go with?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Get the 5-speed Mach motor. Better numbers....

VAiN

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean by better numbers?..... how so...? also can the vt engines 5.0 stroker fit?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have an '01 cobra in my GT, and it runs pretty strong (never dyno'd, but should be about 300 hp to the wheels). A lot of people favor the Mach 1 engines b/c they have the revised heads/cams that are also found in the '03 cobra. They are supposed to generate a little more torque in the midrange. Personally, I'd say get whichever engine you can find the better deal on. You won't be disappointed either way.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
By "better numbers," I think he meant that the Mach engines are under-rated from Ford (which they are!). :)
They exceed the factory rating from Ford & make plenty of power.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
COBRA90GT said:
By "better numbers," I think he meant that the Mach engines are under-rated from Ford (which they are!). :)
They exceed the factory rating from Ford & make plenty of power.
What he said.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yeah..I meant that the Mach Motor will put down better dyno numbers then the 01 Cobra. It'll probably cost you less also. The 5-speed version has the crank you want (8-bolt).
Any 'mod' motor in a 4.6/5.4 block will work in your car, such as a 5.0 'big-bore'. Good luck with the swap....

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Mach it has better flowing heads in case you ever SC :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
what does the mach redline at? I would think that the mach and the cobra would have similar rwhp. Im putting a 01 cobra engine in my gt right now, I cant wait to hear it rev!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Originally posted by 00ZincVert

A lot of people favor the Mach 1 engines b/c they have the revised heads/cams that are also found in the '03 cobra. They are supposed to generate a little more torque in the midrange. Personally, I'd say get whichever engine you can find the better deal on. You won't be disappointed either way.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Stock for stock and mod for mod the Mach1 motor will out perform the 99/01 Cobra motor. The Mach1 motors use the 03 cobra heads and intake cams, Navigator exhaust cams, and has a 10.1:1CR. The Mach1 motors that are mated up to the 5 speeds have a forged crank while the auto's is not.

Jerome

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Blown02 said:
what does the mach redline at? I would think that the mach and the cobra would have similar rwhp. Im putting a 01 cobra engine in my gt right now, I cant wait to hear it rev!
Somewhere around 7K. Will look again next time I drive it.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
My view is it depends. In stock or near stock form, for street use, with stock or near stock gearing, the Mach 1 engine has benefitted from 2 more years of engineering....from the parts bin.

Even for most drag use with 4.30's and sticky tires, it seems to still benfit from that 2 extra years of parts trial.

However, the 99-01 Cobra, with all the bolts on, a lot of gear like 4.56's or 4.88's, and solid axle, makes as much power, and seems to be as fast. Bob Cosby is a good example of this.

So sure...get the mach 1 engine. But if you have the 01 Cobra engine, you just mod and gear it a little different.

·
Registered
147 Posts
jcitroloc said:
Stock for stock and mod for mod the Mach1 motor will out perform the 99/01 Cobra motor. The Mach1 motors use the 03 cobra heads and intake cams, Navigator exhaust cams, and has a 10.1:1CR. The Mach1 motors that are mated up to the 5 speeds have a forged crank while the auto's is not.

Jerome
true

·
Registered
571 Posts
sapperstang78 said:
Somewhere around 7K. Will look again next time I drive it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
whatever one you can get for cheaper, then spend the difference on mods and make it that much better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This depends on what you want to do, if you want to run n/a then get a mach motor if you want to supercharge without rebuild you will need the 01 cobra because of the machs high compression. If your going to build the motor get the mach motor, better heads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts