Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard some people don't like this for some reason and choose not to have it done OR if it is already done they have it taken off after they get the car. Can anyone explain what it is and why people would take it off? Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think what you are hearing is the old "snake oil" trick from the dealer. I might be wrong.

Heres how it works.
They offer a rust-proofing or protection at an extra charge to you(the buyer). What they dont tell you is that the factory had already taken steps to prevent rust and corrosion. And, that a "dealer" applied "rust-proofing" can actually hurt the factory protection.

Thats how it was explained to me from my uncle who works at a truck plant in Detroit.
I have also watched a "special" on Date Line or CNN or something like that, that basically said the same thing.

Anyone else want to comment?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did not get the rustproofing on my cobra basically because I know what kind of work dealers do. To properly add the protective coating, the undercarrige has to be prepped. If its not properly prepped, the protective coating may seal in contaiminants that would have otherwise washed off on their own (ex: like painting over some salt).

My 88 never had rustproofing on it and it lasted about 12 years before any noticable oxidation was present. That car saw a TON of salt with very minimal washing over the winters. My cobra will never see any salt so I know that it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
It is a waist of a good car to undercoat it
I you are woried about it rusting don't drive it in the rain, salt, and snow.
If you would like some certificat that says that your car has been undercoated send me $5 and I will send you one. :D
Cars built today don't require any type of extra corrosion protection. If any thing all that it dose is plug up the holes that were put in for the water to drain out of when it gets wet.
If you plan on keeping the car and want it to look good undeneith don't do it.
last winter I striped all the factory undercoating from my car and it is 10 times nicer looking and I just get under it once a year and wipe it down and it looks good to go.

later
Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts