Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep going over in my head how much its going to cost to keep my Mustang because it'll eventually need a rebuild. I have some good options.

Why not just drop a 03-04 engine under the hood. It may cost similar as doing a good high performance rebuild and buying that new intake manifold I want?

Is there any hope for us people in California doing this legally?
The Cobra is newer then my 96 so I don't see why it would be a problem. I'm worried about the tech guys doing the inspection giving me a problem because it has a compressor on it.
But then again when do they know what they're looking at?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Im no expert, but dont they sell the 03 Cobra in cali? If so whats the problem?

·
Registered
308 Posts
the motor has to be the same year or newer than the one you are replacing. if newer it will need to have all the current emission equip avail on the newer motor. which means to legally put a 03 motor in a 96 you will need to do the whole deal , COPS, EEC and fuel system , along with all the harness and wiring.

but you may be able to get by with the standard swap. you will need to show it all to the referee and see what they say as a final answer

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Basically in CA if you put a newer motor in an older car it has to pass the emissions spec for the year of the motor. If you put an older motor in a newer car, it has to pass the emissions spec for the year of the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts