Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this (http://www.karkraft.com/ALUM_BLOCK2.jpg) a 2002 Explorer block? Or, does the 2002 Explorer block have the same configuration as a 99+ Cobra block (single freeze plug and external webbing for strength)?

TIA

·
Registered
62 Posts
David,

Go take a look at my short block up at the shop. It has the '02 Explorer block you are asking about. I know that it has the external webbing, but not sure about the freeze plug stuff.

Nate

·
Registered
227 Posts
David that's a car block. The truck block has a lot of extra webbing, and doesn't have all those core plugs in it. If you need to see one or two I have a couple of bare ones out here in my shop.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nate - I looked at your block out at MD on Friday. Your's does have the external webbing and only one freeze plug. I remember you commenting that it was an Explorer block.

Kristopher - when you say car block, I assume you mean 96-98 block rather than 99+ Cobra/Explorer block.

I bought this block from Kar Kraft and it was advertised as being a 2002 Explorer block. My concern is that I am sending it off to Modular Performance to get their big-bore treatment and thought the extra rigidity of the 99+ block would be a plus. Mike at Modular Performance says that for a NA application, the 96-98 style block will be fine.

More than anything, I want to know so that I can tell how reputable Kar Kraft is.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Blown46Cobra said:
Nate - I looked at your block out at MD on Friday. Your's does have the external webbing and only one freeze plug. I remember you commenting that it was an Explorer block.

Kristopher - when you say car block, I assume you mean 96-98 block rather than 99+ Cobra/Explorer block.

I bought this block from Kar Kraft and it was advertised as being a 2002 Explorer block. My concern is that I am sending it off to Modular Performance to get their big-bore treatment and thought the extra rigidity of the 99+ block would be a plus. Mike at Modular Performance says that for a NA application, the 96-98 style block will be fine.

More than anything, I want to know so that I can tell how reputable Kar Kraft is.
David, even the 99-01 Cobra blocks I have seen didn't look like the Explorer blocks. What you got is for sure not an Explorer block, but I do agree, yes it will be fine.

As far as Kar Kraft goes, I've actually been to their "facility", and my garage at home is bigger. I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kdanner said:
David, even the 99-01 Cobra blocks I have seen didn't look like the Explorer blocks. What you got is for sure not an Explorer block, but I do agree, yes it will be fine.

As far as Kar Kraft goes, I've actually been to their "facility", and my garage at home is bigger. I'll leave it at that.
Kristopher - Thanks for the reply. This will be the first and only order I'll ever place with Kar Kraft. There service was pretty poor and misrepresentation of parts isn't something that I have a lot of patience with. Fortunately, the block won't be used for a forced-induction application.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Not an Explorer block

99Roush said:
When did you order this block? Are you having it shipped to you or to Mike?
Before Chrismas and I'll be shipping it to Mike.

Was your 266rwhp before or after the big bore conversion? Are those 2V or 4V numbers? For a 2V engine, the HP numbers seem like typical stock displacement numbers but the TQ numbers seem too high to be stock displacement NA numbers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
David,

I had no idea that a big bore was in the works. Why stop there, get a set of those aluminum deck plates they are working on (can you say all aluminum 5.4). Then cut up one of your intakes for a 5.4, talk about some good HP/TQ !!!

KD,

So what's the skinny on the aluminum blocks, from what it sounds like the 99+ are better then the earlier blocks. Is this due only to the additional webbing, or something else? Also I heard that the earlier blocks were cast in Italy and therefore were better, any truth to that?

Do you still meet up at Hooters mid-week? I would like to ask you some questions about parts/tuning etc.

Thanks,

Nate

·
Registered
307 Posts
Stock GT

The engine was treated with nothing more than the big bore. All the other parts where re-installed on the new block. No tune or chip. Just "as is".

·
Registered
91 Posts
instead of playing "yes it is, not its not"...

lets provide some casting numbers, eh?

ObTechPost:

i have two of these blocks, which i will refer to as 'corporate aluminum v8 blocks' since thats what i believe them to be. Anyway, perhaps someone can cross-reference the engineering number to the part number and description:

RFXE-6015 277099

this looks like an experimental part number to me, but im not fluent in the new numbering yet.

I also have a 2001 cobra crate engine still strapped to its pallet - its block is identical to the two corporate aluminum blocks i have loose here, except its engineering numbers are different:

RF-XR3E 6015-CA

same ribbing, same freeze plug size and location, et cetera. as far as im concerned, the karkraft 'explorer' blocks are identical to cobra blocks of the same vintage. I have no experience with pre-'99 cobra blocks.

if anyone cares about the casting clocks, let me know and i'll post them too.

does your kar kraft block have any paint on the outside of it? It should still have its grading color on it. I'm looking for colors other than green or yellow, and if you have a yellow, does it have any manufacturing defects?

karkraft is the name of the company that built the boss 429 for ford. scott minch, a guy who dealt in boss9 parts, had in my opinion the reputation for having the real deal, but wanting real money for it. He eventually acquired the karkraft name and is doing business under it now. He doesnt seem to be that big of a pirate with his mod motor stuff, although prices on some of the stuff is higher than on others.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: instead of playing "yes it is, not its not"...

ShelbyGuy said:
lets provide some casting numbers, eh?

ObTechPost:

i have two of these blocks, which i will refer to as 'corporate aluminum v8 blocks' since thats what i believe them to be. Anyway, perhaps someone can cross-reference the engineering number to the part number and description:

RFXE-6015 277099

this looks like an experimental part number to me, but im not fluent in the new numbering yet.

I also have a 2001 cobra crate engine still strapped to its pallet - its block is identical to the two corporate aluminum blocks i have loose here, except its engineering numbers are different:

RF-XR3E 6015-CA

same ribbing, same freeze plug size and location, et cetera. as far as im concerned, the karkraft 'explorer' blocks are identical to cobra blocks of the same vintage. I have no experience with pre-'99 cobra blocks.

if anyone cares about the casting clocks, let me know and i'll post them too.

does your kar kraft block have any paint on the outside of it? It should still have its grading color on it. I'm looking for colors other than green or yellow, and if you have a yellow, does it have any manufacturing defects?

karkraft is the name of the company that built the boss 429 for ford. scott minch, a guy who dealt in boss9 parts, had in my opinion the reputation for having the real deal, but wanting real money for it. He eventually acquired the karkraft name and is doing business under it now. He doesnt seem to be that big of a pirate with his mod motor stuff, although prices on some of the stuff is higher than on others.
I've got the same engineering number as you on my block: RFXE-6015-22770099. There's a designation of NNLILF1 and a date code of Aug318 stamped into the block. The cast-in date (circle with year in the middle) reads "98". I have blue paint sprayed in two corners of the block. One interesting thing about the block is that it is new - as in never been installed and has never had anything attached to it.

Nate - Yes, a big-bore 4.6L DOHC build-up is in-progress. 305 CID, 10.5:1 pistons, ported heads, custom grind cams, etc. I expect to have it in the car within the next 60 days. All depends on how long it takes to get the block back from MP.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hey David, I can't remeber what year block I bought from KarKraft but when I got it looked just like the trashed (OEM) block that came out of my car. The 01 Cobra block does have the one freeze plug as I seen this when the dealer put the 01 block and heads in my car. The tech said that the 01 cobra block is stronger that the 99 due to the one freeze plug and the extra webing in place of the other 3 freeze plugs found on the 99. Not sure about the 2k2 explorer block, however it's probably the same as the 01s. I think KarKraft told me the block I have is 00 explorer block. I have some pictures however I think I already sent them to you though.

Hmm, just looked at the picture you have, that's the same block I have and it looks just like the original block that came out of m 99 Cobra. I have the picuter and will send them to you again but I think the ones I sent you David have my original block and the one I bought from KarKraft side by side and there is not a diffrence to be found.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey David would you measure the diameter of the iron sleeves in your block? Since it has an experimental part number, I'm curious if there is any difference there.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kdanner said:
Hey David would you measure the diameter of the iron sleeves in your block? Since it has an experimental part number, I'm curious if there is any difference there.
The few cylinders that I measured came in right at 3.550 +/- .0005

·
Registered
227 Posts
Blown46Cobra said:
The few cylinders that I measured came in right at 3.550 +/- .0005

No, I mean the OD of the sleeves, not the ID.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have a Question for those of you that bought a block from Kar Craft. Look really close to the cyl's and look to see if their is a tiny lip on top ( the top of the sleeve every aluminum block has this) If not look down about .400 to see if their is a little line and once again down about 1 inch from the bottom. Guy's do that for me and report back! James

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hensler Racing said:
I have a Question for those of you that bought a block from Kar Craft. Look really close to the cyl's and look to see if their is a tiny lip on top ( the top of the sleeve every aluminum block has this) If not look down about .400 to see if their is a little line and once again down about 1 inch from the bottom. Guy's do that for me and report back! James

I know what you are thinking, I'm thinking the same, it's pretty evident in the picture. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
www.mustangweekly.com has some good pics showing the difference between the Lincoln/early Cobra block and the Exploder block. Later. Dave :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hensler Racing said:
I took a look at my block. At the cylinder head mounting surface of the block there is a small lip over the top edge of the sleeve. Meaning that the steel sleeve is not exposed at the cylinder head mounting surface. About 1" from the bottom of the bore, there is a line where the bottom of the sleeve and the aluminum cylinder bore meet. There is no exposed surface of the sleeve to measure its OD.

As the sleeve definately was not inserted from the bottom of the cylinder bore and there is an aluminum "lip" over the top edge of the sleeve, are you guys thinking that these are experimental spray-bore block or something? There is no tactile interface line between the sleeve and the block and the visible lines are very fine. When the block first arrived, I had to put a magnet on the sleeve to convince myself that it had steel sleeves.

What the scoop??

Edit: I looked at the MW article posted by Dave_308. In the pics of the early block (with multiple freeze plugs), it appears as though the sleeve runs the entire length of the bore. It's clearly notable that the block in the MW article is exposed at the cylinder head mounting surface. As I mentioned above, my block has an aluminum lip over the top of the sleeve here's a pic showing the top of the KK block (http://www.karkraft.com/ALUM_BLOCK1.jpg).

Any significance to this???

1 - 20 of 71 Posts