Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been reading awhile and this is my first post. I have a 2002 zinc yellow GT all stock. I bought it a couple of months ago. It has 15,000 miles on it.

I just put $3000 down on the twin-turbo kit from HP performance:
http://www.turbochargedpower.com/96-04 Mustang.htm

I keep hearing a range of numbers for boost recommendations, but I will keep that question for the power adder forum. My question here is if and when I blow a rod in the stock motor (which is likely from what I hear), where is a good place to research rebuild options. I have never been through an engine rebuild (don't laugh), and I want to make sure if I have to do it that it can handle what I am going to throw at it. To be specific, 15-20lbs of boost. I figure if I have to rebuild then I should go all out. What can I expect to spend minus labor? I heard the GT block is pretty strong so good pistons, rods, rings should be it. I would like to have an engine that will get me low 11s or even 10s. I realize there are transmission and rear/traction to consider, but I am just concerned with the rebuild on the engine for now.

You guys are definately the experts. Thanks a million.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Chances are if you blow the motor you will need to replace damn near everything. Block, heads, pistons, rods ect....

Why not rebuild the motor before hand and save your self the trouble?

I have heard the GT crank is good for between 500 and 600 rwhp. 15-20lbs is going to put you beyond that so upgrading to a cobra crank will be worthwhile.

·
Registered
107 Posts
With 20 pounds of boost you will probably want at the minimum

1.) Forged Pistons
2.) Forged Rods
3.) Forged Cobra Crank
4.) ARP or equivalent head and main studs, rod bolts, etc.

I assume with all that you should be fine if your tune is good. 20 pounds with a turbo could be close to 700rwhp. Good luck fueling the beast, and building a drivetrain.

·
Registered
107 Posts
By the way...plan on spending over $2000 for just parts...let alone the labor.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I agree with John. Build the engine first then worry about boost later. You still have to worry about your rear end, tranny, and the list goes on.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Welcome to the money pit. You might as well throw it down now. If your doing the install yourself, definately get the block first. You don't want to spend hours installing that sweet turbo setup, then have to go back and pull it all off and then pull the motor and put it back on. And if your paying someone to do it, forget it, it will cost you a ridiculous amount to have it done. Get the block and the turbo done at the same time, you will be much happier you did.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4.6 rebuild

Thanks for all the info guys. What max. boost (in psi) do you think a stock motor can handle? I have heard from 8-10psi.

Any good websites for parts for the rebuild? Any special stuff people are doing to get more cubes out of the 4.6? Thanks!

·
Registered
382 Posts
^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts