Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok My throw out bearing is whistling Dixie big time, all i have to do is simply apply very little pressure to the clutch while driving, almost just resting my foot on it, and it goes away.

Now for the Big Question is this part covered under warranty? i have a 6/48k mi warranty with 21K on the car. or is it a wear and tear item?

I think it isdue to it being part of the tranny rather than the clutch,which is wear and tear, Any heads up would be great, Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 2001 Cobra did the same thing at 6,000 miles. After a bit of arm-twisting, the dealership replaced the TO bearing, as well as the pilot bearing and the clutch itself to appease me :)

All I wanted was the TO bearing replaced, but they replaced everything in there. Strangely, the clutch felt totally different when I got it back, it took me a week or two to get used to it. It starts grabbing almost immediately after full travel (it used to come up quite a bit before it grabbed).

Also, when the car was in gear and just slightly accelerating before, if I rested my foot lightly on the clutch pedal I could feel a fairly good vibration, now it's smooth if I try the same thing.

Overall, so far so good on the new clutch/TO bearing. The TO bearing should be covered under warranty as Ford had a run of quite crappy ones for a while...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check out TSB 241. It discusses this in detail. Let your Dealer know the TSB (verify the number though) and they have no excuse not to change the whole package.

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
You're 100% covered, although I had my T/O bearing 'fixed' twice with no noticeable difference. That was with the stock Ford bearing. When I put my clutch in, I used a Timken and so far, so good.

I'd try and talk the Ford dealership into letting you put in a Timken T/O bearing. I've had mine on for about 15K miles, and not a single noise has come out of the bell-housing since. I'm very satisfied.

-Pat

·
Registered
347 Posts
Where are Timken T/O bearing sold

Where did you get your Timken T/O bearing from.

96GT
00 Engine/Trans

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
You can get one from AutoZone. I don't remember exactly how much it is. Somewhere in the $15-20 range I think.

-Pat

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks yellowman, I'll check that out.

96GT
00 Engine/Trans

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is the Technical Service Bulletin 00241. Tell your dealer to pull it and have them run through the certain checks as required by this TSB. My Mustang had the same problems and they replaced everything under this. Here is the link to the site:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/central2.cfm

Technical Service Bulletins Summary

Make: FORD
Model: MUSTANG
Year: 2000

Service Bulletin Number: 00241
Bulletin Sequence Number: 165

Summary Description:

SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A VIBRATION THAT MAY BE HEARD OF FELT AT THE CLUTCH PEDAL BETWEEN IDLE AND 2300 RPM, AND GOES AWAY WHEN DEPRESSING THE CLUTCH AT LEAST 25MM. *TT

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
Menace-01GT said:
Yeah, whats TSB 241. I have the same squeal on my 01 and the dealer said they can't hear a thing.
I just read your post. Walk straight into your Ford dealership and kick someone squa' in the nutz. They know EXACTLY WTF is wrong with Ford' POS T/O bearings, and I gaurantee they've seen hundreds of Mustangs with bad T/O bearings. They're either trying to jerk you around or they're complete morons.

-Pat

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok cool, Thats what i wanted to know, and i have not had in the dealership for this problem. I did blow my engine with 13K on the motor and Ford Replaced it under Warranty, this was with MAC Pro CHmaber, 2.5" Cat back with Flows, Timing at 15*, and Pulleys. I was Lucky son'*****

1 - 13 of 13 Posts