Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to figure my buddies car out. Hes got a decent stumble at idle but only starts once it hits 100*? We've checked wires cap button, timming @ 14*.When we pulled the plugs we found #2 cyl fouled bad. Heavy carbon buildup. The other 7 plugs looked normal. So we thought bad injector so we swaped the injector but still same problem. What else could be causing this? Any info would help .

List of hes mods:
306 stock bottom end
trickflow heads
N-41 cam
cobra intake
and all the bolt-ons

Thanks
-tyler

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Bad wire?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tmoss

There new 9mm Ford motorsports wires and i used a spark checker tool and it showed plenty of spark. I'll try replacing that wire and see if it helps. Thanks

Anyone else with some opinions

-tyler

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
off subject but curious if your friend has any track numbers or dyno # yet?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tached93gt said:
off subject but curious if your friend has any track numbers or dyno # yet?
No he sure dosen't. We just got it together not to long ago. Trying to get the bugs out of it.

Anyone else out there that can shine som light on my stumble?

thanks
-tyler

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Too much fuel or a loss of spark must be it - did you try the wire? Did you take the cap off and inspect it for carbon tracking?

·
Registered
180 Posts
sound like ign problem, i agree check cap and rotor also spark plug could be cracked, even new

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I havent had a chance to try a new wire but the cap,rotor and plug is fine(brand new).

I agree with Tmoss it has to be to much fuel or a loss of spark! Im still lost be cause iv tried two different injectors and I know im getting good spark. So.... Could this be in computer? Bad signal to injector? Anyone else?

Thanks
Tyler

·
Registered
180 Posts
could, i stress could, be an injector ground driver in the computer, but that would cause the injector not to work, i agree to check compression, hey **** happens remember. also try swapping plug/wire with another cylinder, process of elimination.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Reseat the 10 pins... Could help.

Other than that, swap the next nearest plug wire that fits... Like swap BOTH ENDS of the #6 plug wire over to the #2 position on the cap and the spark plug. Same for the #2 wire to the #6 plug/cap position. That's jsut to rule out the wire, of course.

Also, you could swap the plug to the #6 to check and see if the PLUG is the culprit...

Troubleshoot EVERYTHING possible. Rule out one part at a time.

ECU, I would troubleshoot LAST. I'm 90% certain that would not be the issue in this case.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
if you think its the ECU then get a noid light but i doubt it..

check compression and change plugs and gap them..start form there

·
Registered
996 Posts
check the valves on that cylinder, they could be out of adjustment. If they are, you wont get a proper burn if one or the other is hung open slightly, or maybe not opening properly.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rick90lx said:
check the valves on that cylinder, they could be out of adjustment. If they are, you wont get a proper burn if one or the other is hung open slightly, or maybe not opening properly.
Thats what I was thinking too. We plan on readjusting the valves this weekend.

Thanks
tyler

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
onesillynotch said:
if the rockers are too tight you will smell raw gas comming out the pipe..go get a sniff
I'll let my buddy stick hes nose down in the pipe and I will hit the gas a few times. lol

Tyler

1 - 19 of 19 Posts