Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I am new to the site and not sure if this is on here so I apologize if I am re-threading something. I have just recently gotten into building a mustang. I got a great deal on a 91 hatchback with the 2.3l engine. I have a 351 cleveland with a c6 transmission already attached to it from a work van that the family does not use anymore. I was wondering if anyone on here could give me some insight on what all I would need to do to do this. As for a price I am going to do this over time so I am not worried about that. I just want to know things such as wire harnesses to get computer and things of the sort so I can buy all the stuff and do the job after I get it all. I also have an 8.8 rear end to put under it too. Suggestions on suspension for it is also appreciated. Also would like to know if the people that have done this thought that it was worth it after it was finished.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Click on General Mustang tech Site. At the front of it is a thread called "Offical 4 Cyl to V-8 conversion" Read that. It has about EVERY ? u could have & answers them......

·
Registered
87 Posts
351C ????

Are you positive it's a 351C and not a 351M (modified) or a 400? Coming from a van and it has a C6 attached makes me think it may be a 351M/ 400. 351C were produced from 1970 until 1974 in the US. Longer in Aus. Different bell housing bolt pattern as well as different motor mounts. I would make sure. What year van?

As for swap, mine went in easily. I replaced a 393W and used the same transmission (C-4), same motor mounts, and same hoses to radiator. I'm also carb'd if that matters. I purchased a Canton 7 qt oilpan and Hedman headers.

Hope this helps.

Eddie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure it is a 351c the van is early 90s it was set up to haul heavy loads we have a family business of doing ceramic tile. My dad owns the van and told me it was a 351c I am going by what he said on that. I also am just tossing the idea around right now too. I am running into another problem with the guy I thought would help me ( using his garage and equipment) saying that is too much work to do. So I am wondering if it is even worth it or if I should just rebuild the 2.3 and put a turbo on it. Not that I want to get an argument started just want some opinions guys.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I understand. I like the 351C. Always have. I pulled a 393W to put one in. My car is a little different than yours though. It was already a V8 car. I changed it over to carb years ago so that made it easier for my swap. Good luck and don't rule out the Cleveland.

Eddie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts