Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my 1990 2.3L N/A has the oil screen clogged problem. The motor has over 200,000 miles on it, and probably needs a little loving. I want to keep it naturally aspirated, keep it as cheap as possible, and rebuild the motor.

I have a 5.0L, and I see full rebuild kits go for those at Summit for less than $300. I couldn't find any 2.3L rebuild kits there.

How much would a 2.3L rebuild kit cost? I'd be doing all labor myself. Who sells N/A (I'm talking cast pistons etc) rebuild kits?

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
If you are just doing a hone, re-ring, new bearings, and new gaskets/seals I would guess $200 if you already have a rigid hone. Just go to NAPA and tell them you want rings, bearings, and a full gasket set for your car engine. Tell them to make sure they are GOOD quality parts, sometimes parts stores can substitute less expensive (aka MADE IN CHINA) parts.

Why rebuild though? If it starts and runs good and doesn't burn oil like crazy, and you are keeping good oil in it, I'm sure the thing will not break down until it's well past 300,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was a consideration, regardless of the if I rebuild or not, I'm going to be pulling the engine to unclog the oil pump screen. If I pull one of the crank bearings and its spun, should I definitely rebuild?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I rebiult my 302 for about 600 total. I used a Felpro gasket kit and had the block and heads checked and cleaned up. This included honing the block and reconning the rods and pistons.
If you are going to pull it anyway, I would freshen it up if you have the time/money. Beats pulling the motor again if something starved itself of oil.
Comes down to how much you feel like messing with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts